Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Building the Ultimate Subaru

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 04:54 AM

Car Info: 2004 Subaru STI
Building the Ultimate Subaru

OK This thread was dead but since I have ordered some parts, I guess we can start it back up again. This is what I have ordered so far:

Ultimate Racing GT30R Turbo Kit
Ultimate Racing Version 1 FMIC Kit
HKS SSQV
PE 850cc Injectors
Walbro Fuel Pump
Agency Power Crank Pulley
APS TGV

I still have more that I want to order but my credit cards are maxed out. I'll pay these off as soon as they post on my cards and start charging all over again.
I am still planning on getting:

Full-Race Lower Exhaust Manifold
Full-Race T3 Uppipe
Perrin Fuel Rails
Turbosmart Fuel Pressure Regulator Pro
Oil Pan
STI Oil Cooler
Carbonetics Singleplate clutch
ACPT Carbo Fiber Driveshaft
Scuby Clinic 6-pot front brake calipers
Samco hose kit
CF RS hood
and some other stuff but I can't remember

Last edited by EuroScuby; 10-19-2007 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 08:35 AM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Motec M.400 ECU

bling bling

i would get teh stock ecu reflashed if its a daily driver i dunno who is out there that could do that, or they are able to with that motor haha
Old 09-10-2007, 08:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX Aspen White
you can spend half the money on a turbo better than the APS piece & have a better setup. UR T3/T04S .82A/R. Twin-scroll & APS turbos are over rated iMHO, twice the price for almost no gain. I would never buy a turbo from APS.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
I'm not certain a Cosworth-built motor is worth it. Sport Compact Car has put Cosworth-built K-series motors into several of their cars, and seen surprisingly small gains over the factory block. Higher RPM threshold isn't all that desirable for a motor which runs out of breath so soon.

The APS turbos are very expensive, but my personal experience with them was with a 400whp+ '05 STI (a Sport Compact cover car, built by a shop here in town) with an SR55 and it had gobs of torque and tons of room to tune even on Arizona pisswater 91. You could downshift on the highway and get smoke from the tires. Still, very very expensive turbos. I've never seen a dyno of the twin-scroll model...

Last edited by meilers; 09-10-2007 at 04:41 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 05:11 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
Cosworth built Suby motors are choice! They may not put as much effort into their honduh motors, but I know their suby motors pack a ****en punch! I consider something like a GT35R or GT42R...
Old 09-11-2007, 12:39 AM

I am keeping my options open with the turbo. I have thought of Garrett GT35's but I haven't looked into the 42's. I have one good opinion on the Cosworth and one bad. Anyone know or have any experience with the Cobb built motors?
Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
cobb makes very good quality parts.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:46 AM
VIP Member

I just can't imagine that spending $15k of your $20k on the motor alone would be worth it, unless you plan to strip the car and drag-race it full time. SCC put a Cosworth motor in their Project RSX, and while they did get it to hold up to 16psi of boost (ooh, nuts) it still had the exact same problem as the stock K-series motor: past 7200 RPM, torque rolled over and died, dropping like a stone. What is the point of a 9,000+ redline if you can't feed the motor fuel and air enough to sustain torque? Buy a nice Cobb built motor (or no new motor at all, just sleeve and stroke the stock motor) and spend the rest of that 15k on suspension, tires, wheels, mounts and all the other things you need to actually drive and steer a car with that much power.
Old 09-12-2007, 12:19 PM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
see, that's where opinion comes into play. Also, you're talking about Honda engines. These are Horizontal 4's, which are a whole different ball game. I'd much rather have a Cosworth built block, maybe some head work, but the block for sure, and some decent suspension than some crazy *** suspension that me (as a decent driver) will never ever push to it's best capabilities...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 AM

As for suspension, The Tien flex's I have on now are pretty damn nice. The car handles like a dream running through the Ring. When I hit the straights, the Porsches (turbos and GT3's) are running past me because I just don't have the power to pull as hard as they do but many times I catch right back up to them in the corners until there's enough straight to get me off their ***.
Old 09-13-2007, 08:40 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by SubyN00by
see, that's where opinion comes into play. Also, you're talking about Honda engines. These are Horizontal 4's, which are a whole different ball game. I'd much rather have a Cosworth built block, maybe some head work, but the block for sure, and some decent suspension than some crazy *** suspension that me (as a decent driver) will never ever push to it's best capabilities...
I'm just saying that Cosworth couldn't solve the power problem of that particular motor; Cosworth-built stuff is freaking awesome, but the flat-four EJ25 does have some issues that might not be overcome by porting the heads and intake manifold and strengthening the internal components. There are reasons Evolution drivers get to 500whp so much cheaper than we do.

I'm really curious to see if you could get to 550 WHP and still have a streetable car; I assume you're talking external wastegate, rotated-mount turbo and some aggressive cams along with everything else, and you'd still be struggling with driving that power to four wheels and keeping it on the ground. The 400whp STI I drove had 235/18 tires, as wide as you could get without major fender surgery, and R-compound tires less than a week old; it also had a full Whiteline suspension, coilovers to bolts -- the entire whiteline catalog was in that car. When you stepped on the gas after shifting to second, the whole car bucked like a bronco; you could FEEL the damn transfer case on the transmission flex, the shifter would move in your hand. In a turn you had to wait super-late to get back on the gas or you'd get a quick lesson in late-turn understeer; it felt like the car would just levitate straight sideways. It was still FREAKING AWESOME to drive, and I hope Dave will let me drive it again once he gets it to 500whp; it is an absolute Porsche and Corvette killer, but not exactly something you're going to use to return your video rental to the store, if you catch my drift.

I can't believe you get to run an STI through the Ring. Jealousy doesn't even begin to describe it. However, I wouldn't get your hopes up for those GT3 turbos; they spent $300,000 on those things, you won't be catching them anytime soon.
Old 09-14-2007, 06:54 AM

meilers
The Nurburgring is awesome and it doesn't have rediculous rules that most tracks have in the states. If you drove an ice cream truck, you could bring it on the Ring and I have seen some pretty unusual contraptions on the Ring. No helmet rules (except for motorcycles), no cage rules, the only real rules there are is slow down for a yellow flag and if someone is behind you...get out of the way. It's not all about the driving though. In between laps, I just walk around looking at cars. I have seen Ferraris, Arial Atoms, McCleran F1's, and basically anything you can think of. I even saw a Subaru 22B STI once.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:54 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by EuroScuby
meilers
The Nurburgring is awesome and it doesn't have rediculous rules that most tracks have in the states. If you drove an ice cream truck, you could bring it on the Ring and I have seen some pretty unusual contraptions on the Ring. No helmet rules (except for motorcycles), no cage rules, the only real rules there are is slow down for a yellow flag and if someone is behind you...get out of the way. It's not all about the driving though. In between laps, I just walk around looking at cars. I have seen Ferraris, Arial Atoms, McCleran F1's, and basically anything you can think of. I even saw a Subaru 22B STI once.
Wow... just wow. I'm digging in my desk drawer for my passport :-)

Post pics whenever you're done with the STI!
Old 09-15-2007, 01:58 AM

Ummm...

Last edited by EuroScuby; 10-19-2007 at 12:48 AM.