Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

Boost spike with cobb ASP?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2005, 07:09 PM

Boost spike with cobb ASP?

I just installed the asp stage 1 93 octane 1.04 and how do I know if my car is spike boosting with out a gauge?
Old 04-11-2005, 07:45 PM

Also I hear a knock at very low idle since the cobb stage 1 93 octane.
Old 04-12-2005, 02:58 PM

Car Info: 07' Saleen SC281
The most common way to tell if you have encountered boost spike is:

While on boost you will feel a sudden drop in power and notice your check engine light is on and your cruise light will be blinking. Plug in your AccessPort and read the code, the code should be P0244 which is Turbo Wastegate Soleniod "A" Range/Performance.

The second question is kinda hard to tell from here, but I'll give as much information as I can. I have a '04 STi running: AccessPort Stage 2/93 octane, Cobb catted downpipe, Cobb cat back exhaust. I romp on my car from time to time and have never encountered a "knock". I would put the AccessPort back to the stock setting and take your car to the dealer. A knock comming from your engine is NEVER a good thing. The STi engine is notorious for making a clicking sound while running which is the solid design of our rocker arm assembly and the injectors. It's hard to diagnose this problem over the internet. Make sure you listen again and determine if it's a clicking noise or an actuall knock. Both noises are totally different from each other and should be real easy to tell apart. Also, do you notice the noise getting louder and more prominent with increases in engine RPM - especially under load (acceleration). The notorius clicking sound goes away immediatly when you accelerate and put the engine under load. A knock usally indicates major problems inside the engine, usally connecting rod bearing or main bearing failure. If you are not certian what noise you have, do as I stated above and revert to the stock setting on your AccessPort and take it to the dealer, ASAP.
Good luck in finding out what your noise is and I seriously doubt the AccessPort messed up your engine.
Old 04-16-2005, 12:02 PM

Location: Houston, Texas "Drive it like you stole it.." 13.034 @ 105.19 mph
Car Info: Aspen White 04 STI, Silver 03 RS (wife's car)
Hey I too last night noticed the same thing for the first time. I re-mapped from stage 2 91 oct. to stage 2 93 oct. I was boosting 1.27hkpa or the equivalent of 18.4psi. When I re-mapped I soon got the check engine light because I used the base map not the second version (the one already on the Accessport) because I need to get my power adapter wall plug-in mailed to me. Well as it turns out last night I hit boost cut at 1.57hkpa which is over 23psi I did not hear my engine knock (could be because I have RFL BOV i dont know) but I notice everytime I am WOT around 5th gear or so it does it now. I am thinking of taking it easy until I get my power adapter to get the LWG version mapped and I will probably hit less boost with it. Is 23psi really bad for the stock turbo? I need some help and or opinions on what you think..