Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

blow off Valve questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:39 PM

Car Info: 06 WRX/STI
blow off Valve questions

Why is it better to have a blow off valve that does 50% recirc and 50 out on an 06 sti? And does anyone have any go fast bits BOV for sale?
Old 11-09-2005, 11:01 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Legacy GT
Its because a full atmospheric BOV's can cause your car to run rich. The car is setup with a 100% recirculation BOV, so when you vent air out of the system the ECU doesn't know how much air is in the system. It will cause the car to run rich off of idle and between shifts. Its not too horrible, but it can ruin the drivability.
Old 11-10-2005, 07:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 Black WRX STI
Fyi

So here is a post of mine from another BOV thread that may help explane why the car runs rich with a VTA... hope it helps all to understand how a BOV works in our Subys.

Actually, if the BOV is a VTA (vent to atmosphere) - it absolutely should cause the car to back fire. Unless modified, the BOV is positioned after the MAF (mass air flow sensor). As your turbo pressurizes air, it pulls more air through the intake past your MAF, this air travels from your turbo (now pressurized), to your IC, past the BOV and into your intake manifold. More air = more fuel = more power. Fuel calculations are made by your ECU using the input data from your MAF sensor.

Under WOT (wide open throttle) and running with boost, you are pumping a serious amount of air and fuel into the cylinders to give you the power you need. You rev up and shift, at the point that you shift - your BOV vents to atmosphere but you are still drawing a huge amount of air through the MAF, for a split second your ECU gives an proportionate amount of fuel but you just blew off all the air that would have leaned out your mixture to the correct point. End result is a super rich mixture for a split second at shifts. The unburnt fuel travels out of the block into with your exhaust gas, hits the oxygen rich atmosphere (end of the tail pipe) and ignites... tada! Backfire.

Anyway - its not a bad thing. Lots of seriously high performance cars run this way but if you don't like flames shooting out of your ars and big booms as you pass the HWY Patrol, recirculating is helpful. Personally, I have the best photos of my car with a VTA BOV - nothing says power like fire out of your tailpipe. Anyone see the December Issue of Sport Compact Car? The Skyline on the cover... I think it says "BOSS" is demonstrating the photo power of a VTA BOV.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:47 AM

Car Info: white/gold sti
Originally Posted by Tyconjr
And does anyone have any go fast bits BOV for sale?
the GFB BOV is good to have, BUT the down side is that it is a high maintenance. meaning, it have to be clean and oil up inside in order for the BOV to function properly. and to prevent future engine problems.
Old 11-27-2005, 08:52 AM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
"Hell yes" that an atm bov will cause after fire!
I got the sequence down pat to cause great ***** of fire to come from the *** end of the car.
But this comes at the price of drivability, rough idle, and lower mpg without an increase in power.

My advice is to spend the money on go fast parts that will actually make power.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:46 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
"Hell yes" that an atm bov will cause after fire!
I got the sequence down pat to cause great ***** of fire to come from the *** end of the car.
But this comes at the price of drivability, rough idle, and lower mpg without an increase in power.

My advice is to spend the money on go fast parts that will actually make power.
+1 - totaly agree. Once you get a aftermarket turbo and run 20 psi plus, you will have to get a new BOV but for now its not worth it.

Oaf - whats your sequence to get your fire *****?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Originally Posted by depdivr
Oaf - whats your sequence to get your fire *****?
Ancient Chinese secret.
Example: Approaching red light in 4th @ 5K, blip throttle and down shift into 3rd. Takes some practice, but is worth the look on the other driver's faces!
Old 11-29-2005, 10:31 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Oaf
Ancient Chinese secret.
Example: Approaching red light in 4th @ 5K, blip throttle and down shift into 3rd. Takes some practice, but is worth the look on the other driver's faces!
I don't know if you saw it but I have been trying to duplicate the photo of the silver skyline on the cover of Sport Compact Car (THE BOSS). I ask because I can't get the reliable fireball that you can so that a friend in another car can snap the photo. I will give you old Chinese secret a try!
Old 12-02-2005, 08:33 AM

Car Info: 2010 Subaru Sti
is the aps a recirculating or is a vent off?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza GC8
Originally Posted by depdivr
So here is a post of mine from another BOV thread that may help explane why the car runs rich with a VTA... hope it helps all to understand how a BOV works in our Subys.

Actually, if the BOV is a VTA (vent to atmosphere) - it absolutely should cause the car to back fire. Unless modified, the BOV is positioned after the MAF (mass air flow sensor). As your turbo pressurizes air, it pulls more air through the intake past your MAF, this air travels from your turbo (now pressurized), to your IC, past the BOV and into your intake manifold. More air = more fuel = more power. Fuel calculations are made by your ECU using the input data from your MAF sensor.

Under WOT (wide open throttle) and running with boost, you are pumping a serious amount of air and fuel into the cylinders to give you the power you need. You rev up and shift, at the point that you shift - your BOV vents to atmosphere but you are still drawing a huge amount of air through the MAF, for a split second your ECU gives an proportionate amount of fuel but you just blew off all the air that would have leaned out your mixture to the correct point. End result is a super rich mixture for a split second at shifts. The unburnt fuel travels out of the block into with your exhaust gas, hits the oxygen rich atmosphere (end of the tail pipe) and ignites... tada! Backfire.

Anyway - its not a bad thing. Lots of seriously high performance cars run this way but if you don't like flames shooting out of your ars and big booms as you pass the HWY Patrol, recirculating is helpful. Personally, I have the best photos of my car with a VTA BOV - nothing says power like fire out of your tailpipe. Anyone see the December Issue of Sport Compact Car? The Skyline on the cover... I think it says "BOSS" is demonstrating the photo power of a VTA BOV.

So there really isn't any point on installing a BOV at all...eh?
Old 12-15-2005, 01:22 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Daisuki
??? If you didn't have a BOV you wouldn't hold any pressure on the intake side of the system...??? The BOV just releases the pressure.

Maybe I am not understanding your point?
Old 12-15-2005, 10:16 AM

Car Info: '09 MX-5, '09 IS-F
I think Daisuki might have meant that there is not point to installing an aftermarket BOV.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:22 PM

Car Info: WRX --> RX-8--〉E93

u love the sound of the bov PSSST
Old 12-24-2005, 02:00 AM

Car Info: 1997 Acura Integra GS Sedan
or in my case:

PPPPSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

sard r2d2...
Old 12-24-2005, 08:29 PM

Car Info: '05 PSM STI
Can someone post a pic of thier afterfire? I have the Blitz DD and I can hear the afterfire almost everytime through 1st-4th. My friends that follow me see it everytime but I haven't had a chance to ride behind my car. Just kind of curious of how big the flame gets.

I know I know. It's not "good" for the car and my MPG sucks *** now, but I still dig the sound. If you really want the sound, just put it on for a few months to get it out of your system, then switch it back.

Quick Reply: blow off Valve questions