Engine/Power - EJ25T (STI and 2006+ WRX) Discussions about the USDM 2006+ WRX and WRX STi 2.5 liter turbo flat-four.

1st gear sluggish?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2006, 05:52 PM

Car Info: 03 blue Evo - sold, 97 Eclipse GST - sold
1st gear sluggish?

Hello,

I just purchased an 06 STI. I used to have an evo and gst. Compared to them the 1st gear in the STI seems sluggish. I only have 526 miles on it. I am in the middle of breaking it in. I really have not gone past 5 rpms except for like once or twice. I have not launched it at all.

Today I was on the Freeway and went to put it into 6th and accidentally put it into 4th. It went up to 4.7 rpms when I pushed back in the clutch and put it into 6th.

Is it normal to have 1st gear boost in around 3.3 rpms or did I maybe break a mount to where 1st gear is being affected? Would the turbo have been damaged? or is it sluggish because the car is not broken in yet? or I am just used to a smaller turbo boosting in at lower rpms? or am I just paranoid as hell?

I do not hear any knocking, nor does the motor seem to move alot when it is on or when I am reving it.

In 2nd it seems to boost alot sooner. Please if you can let me know what your thoughts are. Even though the EVO and STI are AWD and Turbo, they are alot different driving!

Thanks for your help!

Wayne
Old 07-11-2006, 07:54 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
All engines make more power after being broken in but it isn't a huge difference in output.

Yes, it's possible your Evo did accelerate harder in 1st gear but gearing might have something to do with it. By gearing, I mean the 1st gear ratio multiplied by the final drive ratio determines overall torque multiplication in 1st gear. I do not have the gear ratios handy for either car.

The onset of boost has to do with both the tuning of the engine and the load. At higher speeds and in the higher numerical gears, the engine will experience higher load due to wind resistance and frictional losses. Boost will peak sooner at higher speeds.

If you put your Evo on a chassis dyno, you can do the same with your STi after break-in to the same dyno for comparison. Or if you took your Evo to the drag strip, you can compare trap speed (mph) to see how they compared power-wise.

This is one of those things that's hard to diagnose over the internet. Why don't you go to a local meet after engine break-in and ask one of the other STi owners to drive your car around the block?

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-13-2006, 12:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 08 WRX - 401whp/408wtq
also consider that boost WILL build sooner in 2nd because youve shifted and youre already at a higher RPM to start out with and the airs being recirculated, etc, etc...

ive driven an evo, and ill admit... it has a real kick in the pants, GET UP AND GO.. immediate boost response in first... the sti though is also powerful, but it seems a bit heavier on its feet... more torquey... is that what youre feeling? maybe?
Old 07-14-2006, 11:32 PM

Car Info: 03 blue Evo - sold, 97 Eclipse GST - sold
Thanks for the info! The more I drive it, the more I can tell what you guys mean about the building of torque and boost compared to the evo. I guess I am just used to the 4g63. STI also makes more suspension noises I have noticed. I am very happy with the purchase and cannot wait to get to 7rpm's after the breakin period. I was just paranoid because I shifted into 4th and thought I messed something up. I have to get used to the 6th gear. Thanks again!
Old 07-19-2006, 03:24 PM

Car Info: 06 TR
Sluggish first? I drive a 06 wrx. Didnt know they had a first gear? LOL Ok ok ... Once you hit the gas you gotta shift into 2nd it goes by fast.

SilencedImpreza
Old 07-21-2006, 10:59 AM
pwn

Car Info: 09 STi, 10 Cayman S
I thought first gear had some kick to it :/

--edit--

just not right away
Old 07-21-2006, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by stiormr
Hello,

I just purchased an 06 STI. I used to have an evo and gst. Compared to them the 1st gear in the STI seems sluggish. I only have 526 miles on it. I am in the middle of breaking it in. I really have not gone past 5 rpms except for like once or twice. I have not launched it at all.

Today I was on the Freeway and went to put it into 6th and accidentally put it into 4th. It went up to 4.7 rpms when I pushed back in the clutch and put it into 6th.

Is it normal to have 1st gear boost in around 3.3 rpms or did I maybe break a mount to where 1st gear is being affected? Would the turbo have been damaged? or is it sluggish because the car is not broken in yet? or I am just used to a smaller turbo boosting in at lower rpms? or am I just paranoid as hell?

I do not hear any knocking, nor does the motor seem to move alot when it is on or when I am reving it.

In 2nd it seems to boost alot sooner. Please if you can let me know what your thoughts are. Even though the EVO and STI are AWD and Turbo, they are alot different driving!

Thanks for your help!

Wayne
Remember you're only shifting at 4k. Wait till you break it in and shift at 6-7k. The magic of the STI's are past 4k. Also you have to put considerable throttle input in 1st gear if you really want it to accelerate with a kick. 1st gear doesn't have too much load for the engine to spool the turbo sooner. Another thing that plays a part with laggy boost is the weather. It's been really hot lately and I notice you're from Sac. As for the noises they're mostly from the differentials. Quite normal.