Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Will a borla hush combined with a catless TBE be loud?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 02:38 AM

Car Info: 71 rb26 240z
Question Will a borla hush combined with a catless TBE be loud?

I was looking into quiet exhausts and i thought of putting a borla hush combined with a catless TBE (did i mention a straight pipe from the resonator to the downpipe). I was wondering if it would be at least loud enough where i can here it with my window open. Also, would i be shooting out fireballs since it is a fully catless 3inch TBE? My friends does, but its Blitz
Old 12-30-2004, 03:51 AM
Friendly Neighborhood Ogre

Car Info: GUNATICS.COM
From what Ive seen and heard, the borla hush is a joke. Its loud... Maybe like 5 decibels lower? lol

Just use a straight pipe thats bent 90degrees and have to come out below your driver side door. That way when the cop is behind you he wont get a direct shot from the muffler. lol
Old 12-30-2004, 05:14 AM

Car Info: 2016 WRX Limited
so what would be a better alternative then? Prodrive? APS?
Old 12-30-2004, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 WRX, 2008 Camry
I have 3" catless setup with the hush.

Theres's a major difference in sound with the cats than without. The resonation inside the cabin echos below your chair just where the downpipe is located. It's still not as loud as a lot of setups out there and won't attract unwanted attention still; what the hush is designed for.

Just imagine your current catback hush setup with a slight more aggressive tones during high revs in low gears (**** like that) and a much louder noise in the cabin during WOT and anything within that range.

Loud enough to hear with windows down?

-Yes, and even more so if the sound has something to bounce off of like walls etc. Don't expect to hear the high-pitch, sexy sounds of the perrin dual tip... just enough to sound like an aggresive pur of a cat.

Fireballs?

-Considering this is ALL you have so far, No.

Last edited by Salty; 12-30-2004 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-30-2004, 01:27 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Catless hush is much quieter than most catless set ups and only really gets loud at WOT. Though recently at BDG I heard an APS single tip (don't know which one) and it was significantly quieter than my hush. Oh and I have been told that I've gotten blue pops out the back shifting at redline
Old 12-30-2004, 04:48 PM

Car Info: 71 rb26 240z
Originally Posted by downshiftdan
Catless hush is much quieter than most catless set ups and only really gets loud at WOT. Though recently at BDG I heard an APS single tip (don't know which one) and it was significantly quieter than my hush. Oh and I have been told that I've gotten blue pops out the back shifting at redline
What is your setup?
Old 12-30-2004, 06:00 PM
I <3 White Girls

Car Info: E92 M3, E70, F32, E21
I have a borla hush on my car and its completly catless + I have headers

its loud, but its not too loud, definatly quieter then other exhausts I have ran.

I'm usually @ UCKK if you want to come by and hear it just PM me and make sure I am going that day.
Old 12-31-2004, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: Evo X, 04 STI, 335i, Fit
Originally Posted by xicema17x
I was looking into quiet exhausts and i thought of putting a borla hush combined with a catless TBE (did i mention a straight pipe from the resonator to the downpipe). I was wondering if it would be at least loud enough where i can here it with my window open. Also, would i be shooting out fireballs since it is a fully catless 3inch TBE? My friends does, but its Blitz
Whether an exhaust is "Loud" is a very subjective topic, what may be loud to one person can be quite to another. I think the best way to answer you question is as follows:

-Compared to most aftermarket Catback exhausts (HKS Carbon Ti, Blitz Nur Spec, Helix SS Catback, Bosal Twin or Single Tip, to name a few) mated to a Catless Downpipe (which elimimates both catalytic converters), the Borla Hush is not as "Loud".

-Compared to a stock catback (WRX or STI) mated to a Catless Downpipe, the Borla Hush is definitely "Louder".

Considering that a stock exhaust mated to a stock downpipe was measured at 87 decibels during idle, the Greddy EVO (which is just as "loud" as the Borla Hush) measured 94 decibels and the Blitz Nur Spec measured 104 decibels, even the one of the quitest exhuast (in this case the Greddy EVO at 94 decibels) will be considerably "louder" than stock. Just my $0.02 in.

-Soren

Last edited by Speed Element; 12-31-2004 at 08:01 AM.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:37 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I think something that helps settle this is that any catless is exhaust will be loud (sorta like Soren is saying). Where different mufflers come into play in this situation is WHEN is it loud, and HOW relatively loud it is.

When I had my HKS Hiper w/o cats it was loud all the time and it was very, very loud at WOT. People we're constatly ducking, looking for flying melons. With the Hush, pretty much anything below WOT is considerably quiter. It might be quiter at WOT, and I would bank that, as our Croatian mascot scoffs, perhaps 5db quiter. But 5db is nothing to scoff at.

A final point is the psychological factor that the stockish looking Hush has on the average retard that drives a motorcycle for your local police force. When most people hear a melon shooter popping off rounds, and they know what to look for, their mind's eye is not searching for a 4 door sedan with two, small exhaust tips off rounded, squarish muffler.

Its not as quiet as driving around with 5 cats and 3 mufflers... but it'll probably save you from a few tickets.

jason