Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Wich Downpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 12:29 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 03 WRX
Wich Downpipe?

So here's my dilema, I have the catless helix system(uppipe-downpipe) and decided that I want to keep the third cat. I've been looking at the bosal and the stromung. The things I want are 3" design, bellmouth or divorced wastgate and the shorty design so I can bolt it up to the third cat or an aftermarket high flow. Also the txs looked nice because of the stock looking heat shields on the third cat, but it doesn't look like it would bolt up to other systems. I have the stock cat-back right now but I'll probably be putting on a borla hush twin tip or a bosal twin tip exhaust sometime in the near future.

Thanks
Old 02-24-2005, 10:25 AM

If you want a shorty downpipe than I would recomnend the Crucial racing piece.
This is in my opinion the best downpipe shorty or not on the market. If you read the description it says that it is a full 3" downpipe with divorced wastegat. and it is ceramic coated. which is a big plus. check it out.

http://www.crucialracing.com/products/downpipe.php
Old 02-24-2005, 12:27 PM
VIP Member

Hey thanks, I was checking out that one too the only thing I don't like is the price.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
You are correct in thinking that the TXS wont bolt up to other systems unless you modify it. I have The TXS DP/catpipe and love it but If I were you I think I would buy a good metal substrate cat and have it welded on to the Helix.

BTW, when do you plan on buying the Hush?

Last edited by MO REX; 02-24-2005 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:06 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by MO REX
You are correct in thinking that the TXS wont bolt up to other systems unless you modify it. I have The TXS DP/catpipe and love it but If I were you I think I would buy a good metal substrate cat and have it welded on to the Helix.
Sounds pretty good , but I live in Ca. and I think I'd like something that looks more stock. I have modified my heat shield to cover the wastegate and the bellmouth but the bling bling shiny three inch piping kinda gives it away. I know the stock cat is only 2.25" but something that would bolt too that would be ideal. I just wanna look as stock as possible.

Originally Posted by MO REX
BTW, when do you plan on buying the Hush?
Probably not for a few months, I've gotta talk my wife into letting me get it first.

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 02-25-2005, 03:10 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
The Stromung DP has a 3" exit flange and it's supposed to bolt up to the factory 3rd cat pipe http://www.daddysscp.com/dcart4/prod...3&cat=6&page=1.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:30 AM

Car Info: 02' WRX
The Bosal is a good choice and has a nice price.Also check out the new Mad Daddy one and the Random Technology one.The Crucial one is abit steep price wise.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:26 AM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by Donkey
The Bosal is a good choice and has a nice price.Also check out the new Mad Daddy one and the Random Technology one.The Crucial one is abit steep price wise.
I'm not sure that's true. There are differences in DPs and a lot of you don't notice them. The Crucial DP is full 304 SS including the flanges. Many DPs are advertised having SS pipe, but the grade isn't mentioned. Also, the flange material is almost never mentioned and sometimes they're made of mild steel. Also, our pipe is coated inside and out. There is a big difference between our pipe and many other coated pipes because they're only coated on the outside. Keeping the heat out of the metal of the pipe and in the exhaust gas helps maintain its velocity. Coating the outside only doesn't accomplish that goal. Further, the Crucial pipe includes an embossed, pure copper turbo outlet gasket and a lifetime warranty.

So, is the DP "pricey"? Maybe, but I prefer to think more in terms of value than price
Old 03-03-2005, 08:42 AM

doesnt gruppe-s sell a catted helix downpipe?
Old 03-05-2005, 05:37 AM

Car Info: MY 02 WRB WRX Wagon
Originally Posted by VIBEELEVEN
Hey thanks, I was checking out that one too the only thing I don't like is the price.

There is a difference between price and value. If you compare all the specs and features to the other pipes you can buy, there is no comparable value in a DP. We even give you the turbo outlet gasket and its embossed, pure copper.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:05 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 PSM WRX
just get Helix !
Old 03-10-2005, 10:52 PM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Jumpman23
just get Helix !
I have the helix but I want something that looks more stock.
I live in Ca. and we have emissions testing here.
Someboby trade me a bosal or stromung for my helix.