Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Why is WRX turbo silent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 10:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: E28M5, RAM Powerwagon, Motos
Turbo.....

I have the TurboXS stealth back system. 4"Downpipe, highflow cat, and Midpipe mated to a Stromung axle back.
Catless uppipe as well. The massive stainless downpipe lets the turbo sing. It can alsways be heard over the exhaust.
Some people think I have a aftermarket BOV. I get compliments on the sound.
Old 08-25-2003, 10:32 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Usually I wouldn't give a crap... but this certainly has turned into a thread meant for the Record Book of Ignorance Filled Threads.

I'd bet all the people claiming you don't get more turbo and BOV sound if you remove the silencer either haven't done it or drive a manual like my grandma. Geeebus.

I've done this on like 5 cars and you can TOTALLY hear the difference. And no, its not just "wooshing air through the intake". Have you ever removed the silencer on a NA car? Have you ever put a CAI on a NA car? You don't hear that whoosh... not even on cars with almost twice the displacement. Geez. Its the freakin' turbo. You guys either drive like grandmas or you have hearing problems.

And Captain Ned, you crack me up the most... you're not able to hear and see at the same time ?!?

Remove your resonator. Its easy and gives you an effect that makes you proud to have the best substitute for displacement. It doesn't cause problems. And if you're not like these ninnies whining and moaning about things they most obviously know nothing about, then do some real modifications and make that turbo sound really worth your while.

jason

p.s. Ned you know why they cover the turbo sound? So 50 year old men who know nothing about cars don't get worried that something's broken. That's it. There is NO good reason for a silencer. In most cases it doesnt help nor hinder performance. Its to hide the sound to make the car more attractive to the general population. Hahahah " a sound Subie's engineers went to great lengths to remove"
Old 09-04-2003, 04:50 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
Jason's got a point, folks... I'd trust him on this one.
If you listen closely to a stock WRX (a la mine ), the turbo spool is veeery subtle: kinda like the guy sitting next to you in the movie theater who needs to fart but is trying to keep it quiet so that it ends up becoming reeeeaaaally long like "phfffffshhhhhhhhht". It really does indeed sound better with the silencer off though. It's what I intend to do after my warranty expires (cuz I'm a wuss haha).
Old 09-05-2003, 10:16 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
Removing the resonator was the best first mod I did. Turbo sounds sweet now spooling up. Theres one cool thing the 4eat's can do that the 5mt's can't. When you give it gas from a stand still and hold about half throttle (giving about 8-10 psi of boost) and just hold it. While accelerating in first gear there is not much, but when it shifts to second, still holding the throttle at about half, WHOOOOOSH. Major turbo air suckage. Keep holding throttle in same spot, turbo starts to taper a little, then it shifts to third and WHOOOOOOSH. It all only takes a few seconds to actually go thru the gears but it sounds sweet.
Old 09-05-2003, 10:26 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX with BOV, mudflap
install the BOV. it's the best.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
From what I've read and researched, stock BOV is the best for mildly modified WRX's. Same with the stock intake (sans silencer).
Old 09-10-2003, 07:36 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
just get a downpipe already! you get turbo noise + power... the intake just makes a sucking noise, not whistling turbo noise.
Old 09-12-2003, 10:38 PM

Car Info: 03WRX=sold 08STI=newhotness
meh... if you can't hear the turbo bone stock either:

1. You are in break in and cant go over 4k

2. You drive like my grandma

3. you are deaf

4. gremlins ate your turbo
Old 09-13-2003, 06:15 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
5. You're deaf gremlin grandma ate your turbo.