Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Where is the throttle body?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 01:18 PM

Car Info: '03 WRX wagon, faster than walkin'
Where is the throttle body?

Hi I need to locate the throttle body - where is it? A picture would be really nice - I know the intercooler pipe has to feed into it but I don't know what it looks like.

Thanks,
Whit
Old 12-17-2002, 01:27 PM

Car Info: o2 duburu arr exu
go here and look at the first pic there of imprezer's wrx

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...ics+engine+bay

now locate the intake manifold and the alternator. see that vertical section of piping just to the left of the alternator? it goes into a silver thing that connects to the red intake manifold. that silver thing is the throttle body.

alex (imprezer) reversed his intake manifold though, so your throttle body would be on the other side (towards the rear of the car) like in the following pic (though its a bit harder to see)

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...3_Dsc05374.jpg
Old 12-18-2002, 12:44 AM

Re: Where is the throttle body?

Originally posted by AntiochCali
Hi I need to locate the throttle body - where is it? A picture would be really nice - I know the intercooler pipe has to feed into it but I don't know what it looks like.

Thanks,
Whit
You're kidding right? I thought you had a bunch of engine mods done to your car, VF30 etc. and you don't know what a throttle body looks like? Kinda scary. You should try to track down the factory service manuals, they'll tell you all you need to know. Just follow your throttle cable
Old 12-18-2002, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 09 E90 M3 SEDAN w/DCT
Ya, they stay really clean when they are a GARAGE QUEEN! lol!

Just kidding Alex!

His car will no longer be a garage queen in about a month...it will be eating the roads of the Bay Area ALIVE!

Andy
Old 12-23-2002, 06:40 AM

Re: Re: Where is the throttle body?

Originally posted by supermarkus
You're kidding right? I thought you had a bunch of engine mods done to your car, VF30 etc. and you don't know what a throttle body looks like? Kinda scary. You should try to track down the factory service manuals, they'll tell you all you need to know. Just follow your throttle cable
I do have a bunch of engine mods, only I didn't do them - I paid a mechanic to do them all - I just don't have the tools or the training to do most of them myself.

I honestly thought that was the throttle body (after all I've seen plenty of people talking about porting it) but I don't want to make a mistake...I already screwed up my brake lines because scoobymods.com hadn't posted the write up yet

I have a VF30, Injectors, Fuel Rails, Unichip dyno tune by Shiv...My car is just not making good HP (231 at the wheels - I get pinging at 240 ) - I am really disappointed and I am considering a larger intercooler and water injection.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:23 AM

Originally posted by knuckles
You should definetely get some exhaust stuff like the uppipe and turboback. There is no point of doing a big turbo without them.

As for you throttly body, here ya go:
I have a full turbo back and a Vishnu uppipe with unichip - I only mentioned the engine mods. I have essentially a Vishnu Stage II except the APS exhaust instead of the Vishnu Exhaust.

and I can't go any higer than 230 whp without being susceptable to detonation.
Old 12-24-2002, 06:04 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
Must be that bum california gass you get
Old 12-24-2002, 08:45 PM

Most of the cars with exactly the same mods in Shiv's shop get 250 whp +/- 5 hp.....I think the next lowest HP I've seen with a VF 30 and upgraded injectors is 240 whp.....All this on CA 91 Octane.