Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What are the estimated gains for a CBE?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 10:24 AM

Car Info: 03 WRX --> 07 STI --> 10 Cayman S
What are the estimated gains for a CBE?

I know the general rule of thumb is that if you want a great increase of power, go tbe. Unfortunately, I don't have that kind of money for a TBE, so I was going to settle for a CBE. I already have a Cobb AP v1. So what are the general HP and performance gains from a CBE? Exhausts I'm thinking of getting are Greddy Ti-C or the HKS Hi-Power. Please recommend any exhausts you guys might suggest, but please keep in mind that I'm on a pretty tight budget (~$600)

Thanks!
Old 06-27-2008, 11:00 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon
If you can't afford a full TBE right now, you should get the downpipe first rather than the exhaust. If you get the downpipe, you'll be able to flash to stage 2 on the AP. If you get the exhaust you cannot flash to stage 2.
BTW, if you keep checking the classifieds, you should be able to find a nice TBE for around $600-700
Old 06-27-2008, 11:09 AM

I just looked in the classifieds....TBE for $350. You should look into it.(I'm not related to the seller in any way, just giving you an example of what you can find on the classifieds).

https://www.i-club.com/forums/norcal-classifieds-96/rim-tbe-186480/
Old 06-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Which TBEs should I be looking out for? Brands? Good models?

But will I still see a performance boost with a CBE? Also, in addition to the Greddy Ti-C, HKS Hi-Performance... I also added the HKS Carbon TI to my list. What are the estimated HP boost I will get from those?

My issue with getting a DP is that I don't want to worry about smog tests in the future. And I'm actually just beginner in upgrading my car, and don't really plan on becoming a hardcore tuner. I'm just seeking basic upgrades that give decent performance boost.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:12 AM

Hm... I was kind of hoping to get a new exhaust system rather than a used one.

Just out of curiosity, what's the reliability of used exhaust systems?
Old 06-27-2008, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by chinoyboi
Which TBEs should I be looking out for? Brands? Good models?

But will I still see a performance boost with a CBE? Also, in addition to the Greddy Ti-C, HKS Hi-Performance... I also added the HKS Carbon TI to my list. What are the estimated HP boost I will get from those?

My issue with getting a DP is that I don't want to worry about smog tests in the future. And I'm actually just beginner in upgrading my car, and don't really plan on becoming a hardcore tuner. I'm just seeking basic upgrades that give decent performance boost.
with just an exhaust on a stockish car you'll see probably 5-10 hp, maybe not even that much. It'll mainly just make your car sound louder.

You are right about the DP. If you get a DP you should keep your OEM one since you'll need to swap it out every 2 years for smog.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:33 AM

um the job of the exhaust is to route the exhaust gas from your engine to the back of your car and to reduce noise. There are usually no moving parts or anything so the only thing you really need to worry about is rust. Most performance exhausts uses stainless steel, which doesn't rust as easily as mild steel.
Just make sure the exhaust is not all beat up/scratched up and it should last a long time
Old 06-27-2008, 07:52 PM

you'll only gain like 3-5 whp. Nothing noticeable at all.

I would get an hks hi power catback. It's flashier twin brother the Hi Power Carbon Ti would be too expensive for your budget. The Hks Hi Power has also gone down in price. If u search the vendor forums, u can find one for around $490 shipped
Old 06-27-2008, 08:01 PM

Car Info: '15 LE STI, '06 WRX White Wheeled Wagon, '06 B9
Getting a used exhaust should be fine. just check for holes and major scratches. maybe even ask if the guy took it to the snow. one thing i would check is maybe make sure the resonator is still in there. i know you can really jack a can up by yanking the res out so check for that.

also if you do turbo back it is really easy to switch it back every 2 years. i mean. it is only every 2 years. thats a pretty good space of time before having to worry. everything is super easy bolt on so it shouldnt be a problem if you have basic tools.

good luck
Old 07-03-2008, 11:24 AM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
if you want a noticable power increase skip a cbe and go engine mgmt. add 100 bucks to your budget and get a cobb accessport ~695. you can go stage 1 right away... then after finding a good deal on a down pipe (100 bucks used on CL) you can go stage 2.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:40 AM

Car Info: 94 Integra beater: one Slow 3 Series RIP EvoX
I agree
you will gain more from the AP alone than the CBE exhaust alone
Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
Originally Posted by TurnWRX
you'll only gain like 3-5 whp. Nothing noticeable at all.

I would get an hks hi power catback. It's flashier twin brother the Hi Power Carbon Ti would be too expensive for your budget. The Hks Hi Power has also gone down in price. If u search the vendor forums, u can find one for around $490 shipped
if that haha
Old 07-03-2008, 03:32 PM

turbo back or nothing.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:13 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
https://www.i-club.com/forums/engine-drivetrain-158/bpm-full-race-exhaust-system-%24777-shipped-187389/ 777 shipped
Old 07-03-2008, 04:23 PM

Car Info: 05 cgm imp
i've been looking for tbe for awhile before i got one from crucialracing.com.
cheapest at good quality i was able to find was bpm gt tbe, bpmmotorsport.com. importimageonline.com has it then turbo xs is another cheap one.

i was planning on going perrin catless dp and greddy ti-c.
i'm really happy with crucial's tbe though.

Quick Reply: What are the estimated gains for a CBE?