Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

What is the advantage of flex uppipes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2003, 04:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: '00 RS, Subrosa Letum
The flex is to prevent anything from breaking due to the exhaust moving around. Stiffer exhaust hangers help alot also. The up-pipe doesn't really need to be 'flex' because the stock manifold doesn't move that much. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to get both flex up and down pipes though. You might want to look into the TurboXS cast-iron up pipe instead of a stainless one. It will handle the heat ALOT better. Thats why the exhaust side of the turbo is cast I would imagine.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:39 PM

Car Info: Nadda
I believe it has to do with the leaks that are occuring with non-flex uppipes. The leaks are due to the expansion and shrinking of some of the metal when the car is runnin' hot or not. The flex just helps the flanges out by staying where they're supposed to be hooked up against.
Old 11-30-2003, 06:08 PM

leak
Old 11-30-2003, 06:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2013 GR STi
While we're on the subject has anyone had any experience with the TurboXS Cast Iron Up-Pipe?

nm, i started a new thread.

Last edited by huck; 11-30-2003 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-01-2003, 01:16 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
I had a solid perrin. Great pipe until I decided to install my EGT probe in the passenger size manifold. Little did I know at the time that when disconnecting from the uppipe on the bottom, you still need to disconnet at the top, and not just the uppipe but the turbo from the downpipe too. Then you retorque everything back down in a round-robin sort of fashion. I didn't do that work on the turbo side and within a couple of weeks after I installed my EGT probe I had a steadily growing leak at the top of my uppipe between itself and the turbine.

With the Helix flexpipe I have now, I should be able to take apart either side and not have to worry about the other side. Cuts the work down considerably. And even though the Perrin pipe is an excellent piece of hardware, with the flex pipe my chance of leaks over time just do to wear and tear are that much more greatly diminished.

Remember, the stock pipe is a flex pipe.

jason
Old 12-01-2003, 06:46 PM

Car Info: Viper ACR & H1
I have a non-flex gruppe-s up pipe. No problems after 12,000 miles. My buddys DSM had a flex pipe, the exhaust was old and the flex was just a big *** hole. He replaced the entire thing with 3".

Nick
Old 12-01-2003, 09:16 PM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
stock is flex... that must say something...
Old 12-01-2003, 10:47 PM

My 03 didnt have a flex in it stock.

Nick
Old 12-02-2003, 03:57 AM

Originally posted by SuboobaruWRSEX
My 03 didnt have a flex in it stock.

Nick
methinks you're lying, or you bought a used car
Old 12-02-2003, 10:50 AM

Bought my car new, and put the up pipe on myself. Didnt see a flex pipe anywhere when i did it. Or was it hidden uner the sheilds that were on the stock pipe? I didnt look under em to see if it had one. Also, my Buick dosnt have a flex pipe for the up pipe or down and I have never had any probs with that exhaust. That motor flexes alot more than the subies. Guess its personal preferance, and if people wanna be extra safe. By the way, dont call me a liar.

Nick
Old 12-02-2003, 11:42 AM

Car Info: '01 RS BRP
Originally posted by iLoqin
I believe it has to do with the leaks that are occuring with non-flex uppipes. The leaks are due to the expansion and shrinking of some of the metal when the car is runnin' hot or not. The flex just helps the flanges out by staying where they're supposed to be hooked up against.
Exactly. The flex area is because of the heat that causes the pipes to expand. Thus at cold temps the non-flex pipes will have a slight leak.
Old 12-02-2003, 01:20 PM

hidden uner the sheilds on the stock pipe.
It's there, and it's hidden and rather tough to spot on the stock pipe, but it's there.

Didn't mean anything personal on the liar bit, hence the ' ' - just wanted to make sure that you were aware you either had a flex joint just like everybody else, or if you were absolutely positive that you DIDN'T, that you possibly bought a previously modified car, that's all - no hostility.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:27 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Bought my car new, and put the up pipe on myself. Didnt see a flex pipe anywhere when i did it. Or was it hidden uner the sheilds that were on the stock pipe? I didnt look under em to see if it had one. Also, my Buick dosnt have a flex pipe for the up pipe or down and I have never had any probs with that exhaust. That motor flexes alot more than the subies. Guess its personal preferance, and if people wanna be extra safe. By the way, dont call me a liar.

Nick
Yes the flex is hidden.

Also, you're buick isn't a flat four

jason
Old 12-02-2003, 02:44 PM

No hostility. Ok, that makes sense then. Buick is a turbo V6.

Nick

Quick Reply: What is the advantage of flex uppipes?