Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

went for an insane ride last night....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2004, 03:04 PM

went for an insane ride last night....

well, my buddy installed a very nice and very big front mount, greddy i believe, on his third gen rx7, 1993 i think. he also installed some sort of engine management, but is running a 3rd stage base map since he hasn't tuned his car yet. he has one of those sweet looking twin intakes (hks i think), a carbon ti cat back, and the above mentioned.

he took me for a ride the night after him and my friends finished the instalation, and he gunned it from a roll, and it was freaking insane! it felt like when i was taking off in an airplane, for those of you who have flown before. it felt like we were going faster then i could react to it. then he got onto the freeway, and then let it rip again. that thing pulled all the way to 120 before he let off, but felt like it still had plenty of power to keep pulling past 120 mph. and all of this before properly tuning it. i can't wait until he gets his dp and some dyno tuning.

now, obviously, my car feels extremely sluggish. i was in his car before he installed the fmi and engine mant., and it was quick, but no where near how fast he is now. would a larger intercooler and a reflash be just as beneficial for the wrx? or is there more efficient ways to get more pulling power?

i also noticed that tmi are around the same price as fmi, so which one is better?

thanks

-tj

btw, i have a blitz nur spec installed and a vishnu 321 stainless steel up pipe waiting to be installed.
Old 04-26-2004, 03:15 PM

Car Info: sc300
fmic is inefficient with stock turbo (from what i hear).. but if you have or plan to get a bigger turbo then get the front mount.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:09 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
On the stock turbo, TMI is better. For upgraded turbos, FMI and new intake are best (possibly new BOV if needed, as well)
Old 04-26-2004, 05:13 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
I've researched intercoolers that much, but wouldn't a front mount still have a lot of boost drop even with an upgraded turbo? I was under the impression that a larger top mount would be better with the turbo setup on a WRX (the turbo behind the engine). Please learn me.
Old 04-26-2004, 05:26 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
the turbo lag issue with fmic's is really un-noticeable... but you have to run larger injectors to have an FMIC, and no real gain is made while having a fmic running a stock turbo...

but tuned... an fmic will give you less detonation and advanced timing, depending on your needs and wants...
Old 04-26-2004, 11:56 PM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Thanks for the learning. So no FMIC until I get the VF34, STi pinks, and Walbro. Sounds good.
Old 04-27-2004, 01:08 AM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
Originally posted by SnoHumper
fmic is inefficient with stock turbo (from what i hear).. but if you have or plan to get a bigger turbo then get the front mount.
I agree with that, but I'm not crazy about dropping $1000 on a front mount just so it can get pummeled with rocks and bugs. I would be sick if my intercooler looked like my radiator...
Old 04-27-2004, 01:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002
Originally posted by MonkeyAB
I agree with that, but I'm not crazy about dropping $1000 on a front mount just so it can get pummeled with rocks and bugs. I would be sick if my intercooler looked like my radiator...

get an aluminum radiator and cut your bumper then... ;o
Old 04-27-2004, 09:56 AM

Originally posted by vteg
How much power is your friend's rx7 making?

im not sure, since he has not had a chance to dyno tune it, which is why he is running a base map. and he doesn't even have all the mods to run a 3rd stage base map. i can't imagine how much faster and smoother it'll be after he has some time on a dyno and a little tuning.

-tj
Old 04-27-2004, 11:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
Sounds like one hell of a ride, car, and I'm sure he has a bunch of hp
Old 04-27-2004, 12:32 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Even with stage 4+ setups not everyone runs FMIC. Many many people stick with huge TMICs which work absolutely great with an STi hoodscoop and splitter. FMICs are not necessary unless you have insanely high power. There is from what I hear a 1-2 psi drop in boost and there actually is increased lag. I guess it depends on the setup how noticable it is.

wrxless, install the up and get a dp. Do a couple other mods if you want, and then get a reflash/utec/whatever. You'll be pusing 260-280 chp with that setup
Old 04-27-2004, 01:34 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Black Sedan
Good luck getting your car to feel like that. I have ridden in a few RX7's like you describe and they are quick. My Talon I used to have felt about the same or faster and that thing was running low 11's.
Old 04-27-2004, 11:34 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Don't FD's weigh about half of what the WRX weighs too? lol
Old 04-28-2004, 12:12 AM
2006 Mt Hammy Car Show Winner

Car Info: Black 03 WRX, White 04 E46 M3
Originally posted by mexicanpizza
Don't FD's weigh about half of what the WRX weighs too? lol
no, they are around 2600lbs.

Quick Reply: went for an insane ride last night....