Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Want to make some more power safely

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:52 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02WRXpseudoSTiWannabeWagon
Want to make some more power safely

So I figured I'd use this venue to query everyone's opinion and technical expertise to see if we couldn't lay down every single option available for a 2002 WRX wagon. This is a bit long-winded, so to cut to the chase, I've bolded my questions below.

I am interested in more power, but I'm far more interested in the durability. As far as describing the purpose, I can't really say right now. I know that one thing that I'd like to develop it for is the road course. I don't plan on competing, necessarily, as I'm not yet very good as a driver. I'm thinking track days and maybe club events. To be frank, I think that if I could safely bump up what power I have to 30-50 more hp; but knowing that I've advanced wisely, I'd be happy.

I've read pretty extensively the different paths that the Suby crowd has gone in their quest on I-club, Nasioc, WRXhackers, scoobytech, and even NABR. I'm not saying that I've learned everything I need to know yet. I'm not even too comfortable in the durability in the power I'm making now.

I've got the usual TXS UTEC st4. Undyno'd due to lack of availability here on Oahu, but my best yet has been 12.7@104, for what it's worth.

I really like the durability and affordability in the direction that Alex has gone. I especially like that he used the Darton sleeves. While I personally can't recall anyone torpedoing their engine by cracking their block, those sleeves sure do promise a lot of peace of mind.

The fact that he used a 2.2 block versus the RS block seems extra smart since the 2.2 is completely closed, but if Darton delivers on their promise, there is still quite a bit of peace of mind in sleeving the 2.5 RS.

I also like that the USDM STI block is relatively inexpensive, although a major factor with that engine is the valve control, and I haven't seen prices for it's heads.

Lastly, there's the JDM STI engine. Of course the importing price, AVCS (available from v6 on up, right?), and the need for the ECU...

At this time, those 4 (Turbo Legacy sleeved, 2.5 RS sleeved, or STI) are the only feasible that I know of.

Anyone have any thoughts or other options that are worth looking at?

I plan on doing the swap myself, at an indeterminate time and place. I know that for the sleeving and any machining, I will need to take the car to a professional, though. What are some bugaboos that I need to be prepared for?
Old 12-22-2003, 03:58 PM
VIP Member

Oh, and in this case, there's no such thing as a troll.

If you think that I should completely forego the Suby and buy a Yugo and a Cummings diesel engine, buy all means post up. I'm willing to hear any dissent.

Areas of discussion:

cost
degree of durability
degree of difficulty in installing
degree of difficulty in finding whichever engine
anything else

Last edited by gpatmac; 12-22-2003 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:22 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
Just b4 you go to something alittle have you ever thought about Water Injection. 300 bucks and 1.09 more maybe ever fill up of gas here.------>https://www.i-club.com/forums/showth...threadid=32390
Old 12-22-2003, 04:23 PM

Oh sorry and just skip to page 2 because page 1 is like Vishnu being against it.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:24 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 PSM STi
Well, I am not really a Guru in the motor swap department, however, one thing I do know, is that getting a JDM STi engine will be alot more difficult to find at a resonable price, as opposed to a USDM counterpart. Cuz, you'll have to find the engine/tranny/drive train, then have it shipped over, and ofcourse dont forget the import/shipping costs associated with it (calculated by weight I believe). So if cost is an issue....then you may wanna stick to a USDM engine.

Talk to Aaron (internationalB), he has done the JDM v.7 swap in his car (R.I.P. totalled due to some moron that doesnt know how to friggin drive, and proceeded to come to a DEAD STOP in the middle of the lane, blocking traffic while the idiot was waiting to get into a gas station driveway )

he will probably be able to help you out better than I could.

GL

-Ted
Old 12-22-2003, 04:30 PM

Pat

If you want to look at more setups of WI there is this forum were it is used on a broad number of cars and subaru here --------->http://www.turboice.net/forum/ :banana:
Old 12-22-2003, 04:47 PM
VIP Member

Mario,

Thanks a bunch. I think that water injection is enticing but iffy in itself. I'll read up on it more, but there are still factors that, while it's still a safer route to take, don't cure the overall problem.

If I should get a case of the dumbass and forget to fill my reservior, or if I find myself in the middle of the filming of 3F3F and want to pump up the boost, the block and pistons still aren't as strong as I'd like them to be. While WI is a viable option, it seems to me to be a bandaid.

Gotboost,

Thanks for the tip and the reference. That would certainly be a 'con' against the JDM engine.

I should've stated that I already have a JDM trans. If I was smart, I would have read all of the 'how do I make my drivetrain stronger' threads about 4 months ago. I'll point you towards this thread
Old 12-22-2003, 04:52 PM
VIP Member

Also, Mario, I just want to state that I know that knock is the enemy no matter how strong you can make an engine. In my crude attempts at tuning, I've found that there are so many factors that have to be juggled in the search for power without knock. When I first started, I almost gave up because it just seemed like too much to handle without a professional looking over my shoulder (which, in reality, I ended up having thanks to Is2scooby).

The WI is what I'd consider an option after I get that warm, fuzzy feeling that I've solidified my innards.
Old 12-22-2003, 04:59 PM

Come on Pat you sound like Ban Suvs 6 months ago. Thats what he said. But he has since then change his mind when he saw 30-40 whp after a good tune. There are guys running 20 psi on the stock turbo, stock injectors, stock fuel pump. of course the turbo's life will be shortened and out efficency but this guy on Nabisco ran a 12's in 1/4 mile. There is also a guy on that forum i gave you w/ an Evo 8 who has a low water level light warining tool. It would be just like filling up on gas. Light comes on O i gotta get water. You wouldn't have to run it all the time, you have the Utec so you can switch to that map when ever you want. But now that i hink about you probaly want that power all day everday. Hmmm Do the motor build up and WI. First 11 sec WRX and a Wagon in HAWAII :banana:
Old 12-22-2003, 05:01 PM

ok, i just read you second post and I agree w/ you there.
Old 12-22-2003, 08:14 PM

Car Info: Vakamon WRX
A JDM STi block ver. 7/8 plus pistons provided by Axis Power Racing is capable of handling and sustaining 25psi of boost. The cost of the block is about $1.3k to $1.4k and the pistons are about $500 to $600.

Jun 264 cams plus shim under buckets is another cheap alternative. You can pick up 04 WRX buckets for about $18 a piece from the dealership. Ron can aslo provide them, but you'd have to measure them yourself.

This set-up would run around $3.5k providing that you'll do the install.

Last edited by Chibby Goku; 12-22-2003 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-23-2003, 12:18 AM
VIP Member

Chibby,

If I do go that route, I'm coming to look for you. I guess if I go the USDM STI route, I'll be giving you a call, too.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:41 AM
VIP Member

Is this thing on?

I know folks always tend to 'shy away' when a thread is opened to conjecture and opinion, but the way I see it, if you're smart, you can learn something from everyone....so long as you've developed your own BS filter. I figure, so long as the 'learned' are easy on the n00bs, everyone should have an opportunity to ask questions and make statements. It's just when the statements are wrong, they're corrected not castrated.

Discuss.

Last edited by gpatmac; 12-24-2003 at 01:45 AM.