Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Vishnu VS. Cobb Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2004, 09:04 PM

Car Info: 996 Turbo,Gallardo,BMW 335,125cc shifter kart,etc
Originally Posted by vaus
Shiv,
If you read my post, I merely say that he should talk to the tuner about his aftermarket boost control and make sure that the tune is meant for it. I'm sure you can map the TPS crossover to match a more agressive boost response. My point was that the ECU needs to be mapped for the specific boost control method used, weather it be the stock boost solenoid, an EBC or MBC.

Unless Ecutek has changed the actual functionality of the OL/CL switchover to be triggered by the MAP instead of TPS, my statement holds true.

-- Ed
It doesn't hold true. The switchover parameters are based upon TSP, engine operation time, calculated load and a few other second order parameters. It's a bit more complicated that MAP vs. TPS.

Shiv
________
BMW R12

Last edited by Vishnu; 03-07-2011 at 04:53 AM.
Old 09-04-2004, 01:00 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
Originally Posted by Vishnu
It doesn't hold true. The switchover parameters are based upon TSP, engine operation time, calculated load and a few other second order parameters. It's a bit more complicated that MAP vs. TPS.

Shiv
It seems that the TPS is still a significant parameter in the switchover and MAP is still left out. And since with an MBC, you can potentially make more boost at lower TPS than with other forms of boost control, the switchover mapping would have to reflect that. If you were able to map the switchover so that it transitions into open loop under any significant boost, independant of the TPS, then this is deffinately not a problem. If this is the case, good job .
I see how you could come close to this, but I doubt you could get it to be very consistant accross different forms of boost control, with varying rates of boost rise, using the switchover parameters you mentioned. Like I said, you could come very close, but I still think slight adjustments would be necessary.

-- Ed
Old 09-04-2004, 06:27 PM

ok ed.
________
Penny stocks to watch

Old 09-04-2004, 08:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

ok ed.
ok Shiv.
Old 09-05-2004, 05:51 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
what you really need is a way to force the ecu into open loop fueling mode once a certain manifold pressure is reached. this is probably most easily done by spoofing the throttle position sensor's signal.

ken
Old 09-05-2004, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02Wag on 17's
My whole thing is that I want to be able to run two complete maps. One for either 95-100oct or race gas (c16) and then one for 91oct. Be able to switch them over at the track days. And also maybe be able to run more agressive AF with the higher boost map (something closer to 11.5:1 and something higher than 17.5psi boost). My turbo can support higher boost so I want to really feel the difference between the low boost (17.5) and the high boost (say about 22-25psi).

I don't want to run utec. And I've just heard that with the 18G turbo that you need someother form of boost control, like the Apexi unit I stated or some other form of boost control. The ecutek seems to be holding the boost fine but it does taper off quickly.

I'm still a total noobie when it comes to this stuff...that's why I leave my tuning up to the tuner. I know that mbc can't switch maps, I know that the ebc sometimes has a high boost and lower boost mode but that it dosen't really change your overall map. I still have no real idea how the Apexi unit works or how it would work with the ecutek. From what I've read here it looks like regardless of which boost control unit someone uses they have to get it re-tuned to match up with their ems, right??

Is there a link that is good for better understanding of some of the things you talk about above and how they work?
Old 09-05-2004, 01:31 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by ride5000
what you really need is a way to force the ecu into open loop fueling mode once a certain manifold pressure is reached. this is probably most easily done by spoofing the throttle position sensor's signal.

ken
Ken,

That's correct. My Open Loop Manager does exactly that but its mainly for stock ECUs. I would expect a tuned ECU to take care of the switchover on its own without any gadgets.

-- Ed
Old 09-05-2004, 01:37 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by lowball
My whole thing is that I want to be able to run two complete maps. One for either 95-100oct or race gas (c16) and then one for 91oct. Be able to switch them over at the track days. And also maybe be able to run more agressive AF with the higher boost map (something closer to 11.5:1 and something higher than 17.5psi boost). My turbo can support higher boost so I want to really feel the difference between the low boost (17.5) and the high boost (say about 22-25psi).

I don't want to run utec. And I've just heard that with the 18G turbo that you need someother form of boost control, like the Apexi unit I stated or some other form of boost control. The ecutek seems to be holding the boost fine but it does taper off quickly.

I'm still a total noobie when it comes to this stuff...that's why I leave my tuning up to the tuner. I know that mbc can't switch maps, I know that the ebc sometimes has a high boost and lower boost mode but that it dosen't really change your overall map. I still have no real idea how the Apexi unit works or how it would work with the ecutek. From what I've read here it looks like regardless of which boost control unit someone uses they have to get it re-tuned to match up with their ems, right??

Is there a link that is good for better understanding of some of the things you talk about above and how they work?
Like I said before, you can use whatever form of boost control you like along with whatever EM you like as long as both are tuned together and the EM accounts for whatever boost control you're using.

As far as running different maps... most people would point you to the UTEC, but I don't blame you for not wanting to run one. With an Ecutek/EBC combination you could have a bit more control, and run several boost maps. You could also tweak things a bit with the user tune feature. The tune will be a little trickier since you will basically be using the same timing and fuel maps for the different boost levels. You could use the user tune feature to scale the maps appropriately, but that would require a laptop every time you wanted to change maps.

Another option is the Hydra ECU. I haven't used this personally, but some people have reported good things.

-- Ed
Old 09-05-2004, 01:41 PM

Car Info: Hilux Double Cab with a Dishka on top
Someone told me using an EBC with ECUTEK will cause part throttle lean conditions and could possibly lead to engine damage. Why use an EBC if the ECU already controls boost to hit at safe linear levels?
Old 09-05-2004, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by vaus
Ken,

That's correct. My Open Loop Manager does exactly that but its mainly for stock ECUs. I would expect a tuned ECU to take care of the switchover on its own without any gadgets.

-- Ed
Interesting. This is basically what our EMI Adapter did 2 years ago. Except it offered a few logic modes which varied the rate of TSP voltage ramp, a couple of TPS/MAP voltage swaps and a MAP clamp. It also had a boost driver which incorporated onto the board which we never ended up using. We did, at times, use the EMI Adapter's TSP/MAP trickery with the earlier refashed ECUs. However, since then we have gotren full access to all the OP/CL switchover logic which means that the ECU simply CANNOT be closed loop when any reasonable amount of boost is generated (regarless of turbo/boot control configuration). Rendering it obsolete in more ways than one. If you still think differently Ed, let me know and i'd be willing to demonstrate this to you.

Regards,
Shiv
________
KAHUNA

Old 09-05-2004, 04:26 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

the ECU simply CANNOT be closed loop when any reasonable amount of boost is generated (regarless of turbo/boot control configuration).

Regards,
Shiv
Cool... I'm glad that issue has been worked out and is as universal as you say. I'm assuming you've made load the major parameter for the switchover instead of the TPS to accomplish this... I understand if you don't want to share your methods.

BTW, the OLM was just a little project of mine that started out as an analog device with a lot of configuration via trim pots. Since then I've gone to a micro-controller and some pretty trick code that gives me nice control of the switchover and allowed me to smooth it out very nicely throughout the RPM range. Note it doesn't use an RPM input . I just made this to tide me over with an MBC untill I could tune my own ECU to my liking.

-- Ed
Old 09-05-2004, 04:29 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Originally Posted by Lurk
Someone told me using an EBC with ECUTEK will cause part throttle lean conditions and could possibly lead to engine damage. Why use an EBC if the ECU already controls boost to hit at safe linear levels?
An EBC or MBC with a reflash could POTENTIALLY cause a part throttle lean condition if the tuner hasn't incorporated the changes Shiv has been talking about.

-- Ed