Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Vishnu vs. Cobb reflash?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2003, 03:34 AM

Car Info: WRX Shooting Brake
A reflash is better than a biggy-back ECU, but three times as expensive. A UTEC is pretty much as good as a reflash, but it helps to know what you're doing. If you're in the New England area, a custom reflash at KTR would be best, because it is specifically tailored to your car, with its various mods or lack thereof.
Old 11-14-2003, 07:41 AM

silver, from what I gained from the thread I linked was that the unit would be $555, and it would come with 10 different programs in it, and as people developed other programs that fit your needs better, you could replace them at no charge.

also, they are supposedly coming out with a fully tunable unit, so you can create your own maps.

anyway, this looks like another option to consider.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:03 PM

McBain - Not sure what you were trying to say, but your facts seem a little mixed up.

Piggybacks like the Unichip were the way to do it a few years ago, but reflashes and user tunable tools are really becoming the way to go. While new, piggybacks were pretty expensive although I see quite a few Unichips going for ~$200 as people try to dump them as they move to better technology.

Reflashes have traditionally been the way to go for the "set and forget" crowd. I think that Cobb's AccessPort is going to change this perception by adding the ability to switch between maps without reflashing the ECU everytime. Very cool concept.

User tune tools such as UTEC and XEDE are very cool as well for those who want to add mods incrementally and like to continually tweak their cars. I personally find them complex and a bit dangerous in the wrong hands, but they are the right tool for the 5% of folks out there that are after maximum performance and flexibility.

Silver Arrow - Not sure if you've seen the big thread over at WRXforums.com, but Cobb has provided a ton of info in the AccessPORT thread.

Jimbo
Old 11-15-2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by samagon
my friend sent me this, it is not out yet, but it is basically a reflash for the ecu that isn't a reflash, it gives you total control, and it is from cobb.

maybe next summer for me

http://www.wrxforum.com/cgi-bin/ulti...1;t=000017;p=1
Actually access port is in addition to a reflash, it allows you to change between up to 10 different maps... access port will have staged tuning options for more $ w/end users laptop...
Old 11-15-2003, 08:59 PM

Car Info: '03 WRB WRX
With accessport you it will flash your computer one time and you can switch maps as many times as you want without having to reflash the ecu. Also you can uninstall it at any time and nobody would know the difference. The Street Tuner and Pro Tuner are the other ones Cobb is going to be making. Street Tuner is going to be more like the UTEC is but not a piggyback. It will work the same as AccessPort but have the user controls like UTEC. The Pro Tuner is going to be for people that need full engine management. Like the Motec systems do. Check out their forum. They have all the info you need in the News section.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:44 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
I got mine tuned for my mods by I-speed and i like it works great nice and smooth, holds boost till redline....

www.i-speedusa.com
Old 11-26-2003, 10:02 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by qwk_wrx
I got mine tuned for my mods by I-speed and i like it works great nice and smooth, holds boost till redline....
They are a first-class operation. I-Speed would be great for $650/tuned EcuTek but unfortunately at this time they require that the customer be local so the custom tune can be performed. DJ Catchem lives outside of the Bay Area. W-a-y-y-y outside.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 11-26-2003, 12:52 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX sedan
Just a bit, anyway...=P