Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

vishnu pulley kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2004, 11:08 AM

vishnu pulley kit

I was thinking about installing the vishnu pulley kit. I was wondering if anyone has done this to their wrx. I have heard of some negative things along with posative things. Anyone with any knowledge on this subject? The kit replaces the underdrive & the crank pulley. Will this have any negative effect. Upgrades to the car now are utec, helix uppipe txs catless turboback.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:40 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
I don't know if there will be negetive effects, don't think so. You will feel it rev easier - it's one of thoes mods you can feel.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:04 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Does the pulley kit have any negitive impact on things like the AC?
Old 04-20-2004, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 2004 Black/Gold STi
I heard your idle will be rougher with the pully kit, even more so with a lightened flywheel.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:42 PM

Car Info: gc w/ neons and a wrx that needs neons
also heard that it will affect you're ac when slamming down the gas and having the ac at a high level.

just what i heard though, by a few people.
that wouldn't really upset me much. if thats the only problem.
Old 04-21-2004, 05:58 AM

Car Info: 04 Java Black WRX
I have heard of people having problems with the crank position sensor after installing this, or any pulley system on a WRX. This is the reason a lot of well known tuner places do not have a UD pulley kit, such as Cobb. Apparently it does not affect everyone who installs the UD pulleys, but on some it can cause the vehicle not to start I believe. I will try to find the thread I read about it and link it here.
Old 04-21-2004, 09:02 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
I've had the Vishnu pulley and belt installed since Dec-2002. Compared with stock pulley - no CEL, no noticeable difference with accessories (lights, A/C) at idle, not much if any increase in vibration since it is not a harmonic damper, just a lump of weight like a small flywheel at the crank snout.

For those concerned about increased NVH from the Vishnu pulley, it's nothing compared with going to STi engine and tranny mounts!

As far as seat of the pants power increase from a pulley change alone, I couldn't tell the difference. I think it helps but only incrementally.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-21-2004, 08:12 PM

Thanks for the info. I really don't car about the a/c to much, I'm just looking for a few more mods at a resonable price. The pulleys and innercooler hoses are most likely the next mods. You got to love the i-club; everyone is allways ready to help!
Old 04-22-2004, 02:53 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
The Vishnu pulley is underdriven, just maybe not as much as some of the other pulleys, thereby avoiding such niceties like dimming lights more than normal at idle.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 04-22-2004, 07:12 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally posted by namakemono
also heard that it will affect you're ac when slamming down the gas and having the ac at a high level.

just what i heard though, by a few people.
that wouldn't really upset me much. if thats the only problem.
the ac compressor clutch engages when you give it WOT. pulley or no pulley.

ken
Old 04-22-2004, 09:31 PM

Car Info: 03 Blu WRX, vf 34, headers, catless, gc coilovers, f/r sways
I have heard . . . why do people write this if they don't know? It is just B.S., stick to what you know! Instead of taking up bandwith needlessly, provide this guy good fact based information. Go back and count how many people responded with n00b worthless hear say answers, come on you guys make the list worth while.

1/500yellowwrx:
I know I have had the Vishnu "underdrive" pulley for 20k miles and everthing is fine. There is no rough idle, my a/c is cold, my engine hasn't blown up, my lights work fine and my 250 watt amp powers my stereo and aliens aren't coming out my exhuast pipe. I can feel the revs climb a little faster. Your experience may vary.

Enjoy!
Old 04-23-2004, 12:45 PM

Car Info: 1942 ford pinto
i have a 1.8l engine in my L coupe and i have the vishnu pulley. and i guess aftermarket ones vibrate more which can damage the seal behind it and can leak oil. i have developed an oil leak RIGHT behind that pulley and im pretty sure thats what it is. ....could be from the pulley or maybe not. who knows.
Old 04-25-2004, 04:09 PM

Car Info: 04 Java Black WRX
Originally posted by WillysPU
I have heard . . . why do people write this if they don't know? It is just B.S., stick to what you know! Instead of taking up bandwith needlessly, provide this guy good fact based information. Go back and count how many people responded with n00b worthless hear say answers, come on you guys make the list worth while.

1/500yellowwrx:
I know I have had the Vishnu "underdrive" pulley for 20k miles and everthing is fine. There is no rough idle, my a/c is cold, my engine hasn't blown up, my lights work fine and my 250 watt amp powers my stereo and aliens aren't coming out my exhuast pipe. I can feel the revs climb a little faster. Your experience may vary.

Enjoy!
Wow, terribly sorry to have offended you in such a manor. I suppose I should have posted "I have read" instead of "heard". Regardless however I was trying to spead information which I have READ on another forum which may be pertinent to the discussion here. I have found the thread, here which is replied to by Josh at Cobb. Seems he would be a reputable source for information on the advantages and possible problems with UD pulleys. No I don't have a UD pulley on my car so obivously no first hand experience, but I can and do research a good deal about my car and felt it would be helpfull to share the information on a public forum.

Quick Reply: vishnu pulley kit