Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Uppipe need tuned??

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 WRX 05 CGM, Stage 2 WRX 04 WRB (RIP)
Uppipe need tuned??

Hi all,

I just got a 06 STI uppipe (catless) and I am planning to install it on my WRX 2004.
Right now my car has cobb short ram intake and greddy evo 2 cat back.

I am wondering if I need tuned after installing the uppipe.
If that the case I will wait until I get downpipe and have it tuned at the same time. But if no need tune I want to install the uppipe asap.

This car is my daily driver. I do autocross every other week and will plan to do track in Dec.

Thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
no you will not need to tune with the uppipe. however you will need to find a way to disable the cel you get when you remove the egt sensor that is apart of your stock uppipe. sti uppipes do not have a bung for the egt sensor(because its not needed when an uppipe doesnt have a cat in it)
you can prevent the cel with a resistor or some type of engine management.

just keep in mind you will have to remove the downpipe to install the uppipe. so i say you should wait and do the uppipe and downpipe at the same time. this way you are not doing the work twice.
Old 11-23-2009, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 2018 Tacoma TRD PRO
You should get a tune. I ran my 04 wrx with a up pipe, down pipe, and cbe all catless without any tune. Problem is bad MPG, ruff idle, and all around feels bad. Cant be good for the car.

Get an Access port and you can use the free tunes right off there site and those are ok untill you can get a real tune.

Plus up pipe install is a real pain..I would have a shop do it.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:21 PM

Car Info: 05 wrx
Originally Posted by LOL Vtec
You should get a tune. I ran my 04 wrx with a up pipe, down pipe, and cbe all catless without any tune. Problem is bad MPG, ruff idle, and all around feels bad. Cant be good for the car.

Get an Access port and you can use the free tunes right off there site and those are ok untill you can get a real tune.

Plus up pipe install is a real pain..I would have a shop do it.
OP asked if he should get a tune after he does the uppipe. If all he has is an uppipe it would be a complete waste of money to get a tune. it wont be until he does a downpipe is when he would need will need some type of em.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:46 PM

Car Info: Stage 2 WRX 05 CGM, Stage 2 WRX 04 WRB (RIP)
ok so you saying with just catless uppipe i don't need a tune. Does the combination of short ram intake, uppipe, and cat-back has enough change to throw off ecu reading?

And also without a tune, am I still getting the benefit of turbo spooling faster?

My goal is to have faster turbo spool car for now without throwing engine code, until I can get downpipe and tune sometime next year. is this possible?
Old 11-24-2009, 01:36 AM

Car Info: drives a STi
I have a 2005 wrx and I have a sti uppipe, spt short ram intake, ic hoses, helix catted dp, hks-high power catback, and of course cobb ap v2 off the shelf map stage 2 ACN. I've had this set-up for about 40k and no problems what so ever.

Yes I do daily drive my car, but I am getting crappy gas mileage so it's important to get a tune if u decide to get a aftermarket dp.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:17 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: a blue car
A tune will help any car as far as smoothing out power delivery but for one mod isn't really worth it, in my opinion. If you're doing up-pipe only, you delete the EGT sensor completely since the STI up-pipe doesn't have a bung for it. You can get a 2.2kOhm resistor at radio shack for a dollar and plug that into the pigtail that the EGT sensor was plugged into and you're good to go. It gives the ecu a reading that is as if the egt is there and functioning as it should and gets rid of the CEL. I ran like this for quite awhile before getting a catless downpipe and an AccessPort. You'll definitely notice a difference in spool by getting rid of the catted up-pipe.
Old 12-12-2009, 08:39 AM
Former Sponsor

Car Info: MY04 STi some call it a race car
Originally Posted by DemonPossessed
OP asked if he should get a tune after he does the uppipe. If all he has is an uppipe it would be a complete waste of money to get a tune. it wont be until he does a downpipe is when he would need will need some type of em.
Bingo, this statment says it all...

-Noah