Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Uppipe leak - any recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 07:49 PM

Car Info: '02 Stage 2 WRX
Uppipe leak - any recommendations?

Hi all. Just finished installing an HKS DP, HKS cat-back, and Invidia uppipe this afternoon. We haven't put everything away yet 'cause we've run into a small problem. We started the car up after everything was installed, and there was a very loud leak coming from inbetween the uppipe and manifold. It wasn't just a small high-pitched squeak, it sounds more like a Harley Davidson. I got and put in new gaskets from Subaru and put them in their respective places. We tried loosening the joint up, switching the bolts, etc... and nothing seemed to work. I had read in the Vishnu install directions (I believe that's where it was anyways) that the gasket needs to be lined up perfectly with the holes on the uppipe and manifold. I'm not sure if mine is. The bolt holes line up, but I'm not sure if the gasket lines up exactly. Would this be the source of the problem? Do the bolts have to be torqued to a certain spec? Any help would be apprectiated. Thanks in advance!

Alex B
Old 09-18-2005, 04:25 PM

exhaust leak

hello, if its that loud check the 02 sensoron on the exhaust manifold/header. good luck. i made the mistake of not putting in the 02 sensor in and then realized that's whats maken all the noise
Old 09-18-2005, 05:48 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX Sedan
Originally Posted by ralli me
hello, if its that loud check the 02 sensoron on the exhaust manifold/header. good luck. i made the mistake of not putting in the 02 sensor in and then realized that's whats maken all the noise
make sure the sensor is in. btw did you get a cell fix for the sensor cause if you didn't your check engine light is going to be on. also make sure when your tightening the bolts on "both" ends of the uppipe your gradually going around and doing them all at once, instead of making each bolt as tight as possible one at a time. one of the biggest causes of exhaust leaks has to do with the seal of the pipe and the gasket.

try those out and everything sould be okay.

congrats on the new mods, i just installed my stromung cat-back w/ helix upipe and downpipe yesterday
Old 09-18-2005, 10:45 PM

Car Info: 2002 silver rex
I tourqed in 3 steps hand tight, 20fp then 30fp. No leaks so far.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: '04 WRX Wagon
So you tried taking everything off and reseating it all?

Wow that sucks dude...exhaust leaks are always a biatch especially for teh UP. That's why I have a Helix which is a bit easier to install because of the flex section.

Perhaps try unbolting both sides and hand tighten everything...then take it slow and torque each bolt in increments like Curbait's...go around in a star pattern on the Turbo side.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:28 AM

Question leak?

hello turbotceh, did you find the leak? if its as loud as a HD i can only hope you have found the problem by now. dont feel bad, in a rush to start the car, i too forgot to put the exhaust manifold 02 sensor in lol
Old 09-19-2005, 04:10 PM

it OK:)

hello turbotech, just read your reply on Clubwrx.com too funny, i am NOT the only one
Old 09-19-2005, 05:29 PM

Car Info: '02 Stage 2 WRX
Yup, was the O2 sensor! D'oh! Ah well, we're just laughing about it now. At least the problem is solved. The weird thing about the CEL, is that it was on when I first drove the car after I installed the exhaust, and now ever since I've driven it a few more times (to/from school and work, etc.) and it hasn't come on. It's not a huge deal, seeing as how my Accessport will be here within a day or two to solve that problem.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:33 PM

Car Info: 2011 WRX Hatchie
Try a copper gasket.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:36 PM

Car Info: 2004 WRX
Talking

Originally Posted by Steven@Coach
Try a copper gasket.
Yeah, sounds like you found the problem, but yes, for future reference, I've heard very good things about copper gaskets (i.e. Crucial racing makes a set). Supposedly, they deform a little easier (?) to provide a better seal when you tighten your nuts back in (that sounded kinda perverted...)<shrug>
-C
Old 09-20-2005, 08:27 AM

Thumbs up turbo tec

hello, i am glad you found the problem he.. he.. i too have the HKS hiper-system TBE and up-pipe along with Crucial racings cooper gaskets (headers,up&down pipe). as long as its not leaking you should be fine. i know many subies owners who have retained the stock gaskets with no problems. i think i've posted some where that it took me 3 days to install the up-pipe and the 02 sensor was just one of many problems i ran into. the sound with the additional monkey power you've gained makes it all worth it oh yeah with Accessport... you'll have a gang of monkeys under the hood and they'll be PISSED!