Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

uppipe/downpipe installed - lost power (Help!!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 03:34 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX (Black)
Exclamation uppipe/downpipe installed - lost power (Help!!)

My Mods:

HKS hiper cat back
AEM CAI
GFB bov
GT Spec Uppipe (installed today....less than 10 miles ago)
Oakos DP (installed at the same time as uppipe....today)

My issue: I notice a definite loss in boost (a noticable lag) in the higher rpms. I jump on the gas in second and it starts to fall apart.... same in third. I had a reputable shop do the install .... can anyone shine some light????....

I've hear that the ECU learn the modification and adjust after some miles is this true???....

I am running the stock ECU ... no reflash or accessport.... should it matter????

Any idea's

Thanks a ton for any recommendations.

-K
Old 07-16-2004, 07:26 AM

common guys....

bump.
Old 07-16-2004, 07:36 AM

Car Info: 02 wrx wagon
I wish I could help, but try reseting the ECU. Do you have a boost gauge to see if you are getting peak boost?
Old 07-16-2004, 07:40 AM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by Kwilson21
I've hear that the ECU learn the modification and adjust after some miles is this true?
Yes, it should learn how to use those mods. There is much more power to be gained with a reflash of some sort, either off the shelf or custom tuned.

There are also thread links in a 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum page on the dubious gains of a CAI. You could try replacing it with the stock airbox, resetting the ECU to start over again.

NOTE: It always helps to give your thread an appropriate title.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 07-16-2004, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by Wingless Wonder
Yes, it should learn how to use those mods. There is much more power to be gained with a reflash of some sort, either off the shelf or custom tuned.

There are also thread links in a 'sticky' thread at the top of the forum page on the dubious gains of a CAI. You could try replacing it with the stock airbox, resetting the ECU to start over again.

NOTE: It always helps to give your thread an appropriate title.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush

I just made an appoinment with rallyspec to do the EcuTek re-program on site.

When telling them what was going on he said the same thing about the CAI but that they could easily correct for the lean factor... which i know can be done.

He said that i could do the same as you suggested temporaily until my repro.

I might just do that..... we'll see what a few more miles can learn the ECU.

-K
Old 07-16-2004, 10:50 AM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
basic stuff, have you check for leaks? all vaccum line/hoses tighten? are you boost level reading correct?

with basick up/dp mod, you shouldn't need to reset anything. and as mentioned earlier, your cai aint helping, niether is your bov....but apparently, it was running find before.

btw, are you getting any cel? if so what?
Old 07-17-2004, 04:09 PM

Question

Originally Posted by capt'n'caveman
basic stuff, have you check for leaks? all vaccum line/hoses tighten? are you boost level reading correct?

with basick up/dp mod, you shouldn't need to reset anything. and as mentioned earlier, your cai aint helping, niether is your bov....but apparently, it was running find before.

btw, are you getting any cel? if so what?

No cel yet. I've driven it a bit and it seems to improve a bit..... before i got the up / and DP installed the car ran fine with the CAI and the BOV..... only after the dp / up did it seem to loose power .... like its running rich. Spoke to a tech at Rallyspec where im going to have EcuTek done and he said that it was probably already running a bit lean because of the CAI but said now that ive removed the cats and increased flow i can really notice it now. He said that they will be able to tune for the AEM Cai with no problem. I can feel the power there... i think that when i get the EcuTek done it'll really come to life.

As for leaks: How do you check for dp / up leaks without some sort of vacume testing device??... What should i be looking / listening for??.

-K
Old 07-18-2004, 08:50 AM
dhc

Car Info: 2004 WRX Java Black Pearl
When I got my helix up/dp, there was gobs of power without having to tune...I agree check for boost leak, if they removed your TMIC any time at all during the install, I would check there. You can also get soap andwater to see if any air or bubbles form where the flanges meet.

good luck
Old 07-18-2004, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by dhc
When I got my helix up/dp, there was gobs of power without having to tune...I agree check for boost leak, if they removed your TMIC any time at all during the install, I would check there. You can also get soap andwater to see if any air or bubbles form where the flanges meet.

good luck

Soap and water wear?.... the flanges on the up / DP?.... all ill see is steam i mean after all they are running in excess of 1200 degrees..... as soon as any liquid hits it ill steam off.

Wear on the IC would i check for leaks...

Today i went out and reset the ECU... when i started it up i smelled gas indicating that it indeed is running lean. That leads me to believe that it is probably the CAI.

I may just take it back to the dealer and have them check for any leaks.... only because i know that they'll tell me if there are. If there are then i can take it back to the install shop and have them fix it.

-K
Old 07-19-2004, 04:13 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Originally Posted by Kwilson21
Soap and water wear?.... the flanges on the up / DP?.... all ill see is steam i mean after all they are running in excess of 1200 degrees..... as soon as any liquid hits it ill steam off.

Wear on the IC would i check for leaks...

Today i went out and reset the ECU... when i started it up i smelled gas indicating that it indeed is running lean. That leads me to believe that it is probably the CAI.

I may just take it back to the dealer and have them check for any leaks.... only because i know that they'll tell me if there are. If there are then i can take it back to the install shop and have them fix it.

-K

I would say that if you smelled gas, it's not running lean. Also, lean is bad for the motor but usually you will get more power if your a little lean. Most tuners keep the mix rich, so not to damage the engine. There is a fine line between lean and too lean. If the car is really lean you will notice some power drop. If the car is lean you will get dettonation(which you can hear). If you boost is low i would say you have got a leak, maybe exhaust but also could be from the intercooler hoses, or even boost controller hoses. You should not have had any issues with your upgrades, you should have noticed more power even without a tune. You could try the stock airbox and see if that fixes it, but i doubt it . Good luck. BTW if you car is lean i would take it easy until you get it checked.

Also itf you have an exhaust leak, you would proabbly hear it.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:11 PM

Car Info: 02' wrb wrx w/ RGII
do you guys have a pic of the gt spec uppipe ?..and can it be used with the helix dp or it would be better to use the helix uppipe ?