Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

an update on my motor build

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2003, 09:11 PM

Car Info: 2004+ Two Tone Green
an update on my motor build

hello people. well my project has definately been a rollercoaster ride. basically right now i am waiting for the motor to be assembled. it was supposed to be installed a few weeks ago but i have been running into some problems. some of them being many parts missing. i had to order new cam bearing shoulder bolts. there are i think 16 of them and they are around $5 each. that sucked. then i ran into a problem where my vavles were tipped incorrectly so 8 of my valves were too long and the smallest shims would not fit. so they had to send the heads out for a week and get that crap done. also it has taken long because they have to fit my engine assembly in with all of their other stuff. so from what i understand the motor will be completely assembled and ready for install monday afternoon.

i will be breaking the motor in for 2000 miles. i am using the stock, turbo, stock ecu, stock injectors, blitz front mount, gt spec turbo manifold and up pipe, and my custom downpipe and exhaust. i will be changing the oil every 250 miles for the first 1000 and then every 500 miles until 2000. then every 2000-2500 miles after. i will never be using synthetic oil and i will be using 20-50 weight oil.

once i have 2000 miles i will be dynoing the motor to see what it will put out with the header, exhaust, stock boost, and the added displacement. then i will remap the ecu and see how that does. from that point i will drive the car around for a while to see how it drives.

then i will be using a garrett 500 hp bolt on turbo i am testing for SPI Motorsports. i will then switch my injectors to the 800 cc's, swap turbos, and either remap the ecu or use my autronic ecu. maybe both. i will see how that goes for a while then onto the next turbo.

the last turbo i am using will be a turbonetics p trim ball bearing t-66. i will custom fabricate an up-pipe and downpipe and adapt my tial 40 mm wastegate. i will test my motor and push it to the limits to see its capabilites. once the car is dialed in i will take it to the track and see if i can pull off some 10's.

as soon as i put the garrett turbo on i will be switching transmissions to the sti 6 speed. i will be using that tranny as long as i can until i breaks. if and when it breaks i will be putting a huge 5 speed gearset made for the 6 speed case in it.

i will document everything on the car and also dyno every single modification that i can.

once again here is my set up:
ej22, sleeved, bored, stroked to 2.5 liters
fully ported and polished heads
800 cc injectors, sti tgv housings, and all of the other bolt-ons.