Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Up-Pipe or Down Pipe leak? How to determine?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:55 PM

Car Info: 2003 sonic yellow WRX, Vishnu Stage 1, Perin Inter
Up-Pipe or Down Pipe leak? How to determine?

Hey all, I've got another one of those wacky questions. I have a Vishnu stage 1, which in case not everyone knows it comes with an Up pipe and turboback exhaust, plus a few other things that aren't important right now. I have had it installed for a while now, but recently I started to get this wistleling sound when I started up the car and start driving. I always let the car warm up before driving it hard enough to make the turbo make boost...anyway. The sound would only last until the exhaust pieces heated up enough so they would expand and seal up the leak.

After a month of this I got sick of the sound, so I decided to try and fix the leak. I removed all the exhaust components and cleaned all the mating surfaces and gently cleaned up the gaskets. I then reinstalled everything and torqued all the bolts to the required settings. The problem now is that the wistlening is doing the exact oppisite. Its fine when I first start driving, but loud as hell when the car is nice and heated up. I don't seem to be loosing boost at all, so I guess I don't think it is leaking at the up-pipe.

I guess my real question is where the hell is it leaking from? I know from all the reading that it is probably the up-pipe, but could it be the down-pipe where it meets the turbo? It is such a pain in the cornhole to do all that work again.

Is there any true ways to tell where the leak is at? I have tried the ol' soapy water trick, with no luck.

Will the down-pipe make a wistleing sound when it leaks.....Thanks in advance
Old 07-14-2005, 09:13 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Broken Subarus
Exhaust leaks don't really sound like a whistle. It sounds more like a ticking sound on top of your normal ehaust noise. As for finding the leak take a look around the flanges, under the heat shield, ect. Look for some soot. You could also go to sears or where ever and pick up a mechanics stethascope. If you pick one of these up you will hear the leak much more clearly. Lastly do your self a favor and pick up a set of crucial racings copper gaskets. Say bye bye to all leaks.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:36 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
I have heard some people describe their uppipe leaks as a whistling sound. Do you have the 321 solid or the flex uppipe? If you have the solid one make sure to follow vishnu's installation instructions. Vishnu says that you need to loosen all the bolts and brackets holding the turbo before you attach the uppipe. They also give a very specific tightening sequence for all the bolts on the uppipe and turbo. If you closely follow those instructions you shouldn't have any leaks. You should also use new gaskets to be sure.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:49 AM

I have the solid pipe and I followed vishnu's directions to a tee. Still leaky leaky.
Old 07-15-2005, 01:38 PM

Ok.....discovered where the leak was comming from. It was leaking at the lower flange of the up pipe. Thankfully it was that one and not the upper one. Just had to swap out the old gasket for a new one.
Old 07-15-2005, 11:59 PM

Car Info: 03 MBP WRX
good to hear it was any easy fix!