Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

To underdrive or not? Pulley Sets

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 06:32 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Underdrive pulleys reduce the amount of power to the accessories (AC, headlights, stereo, etc.) by changing the pulley diameters. So you will get gains from the lighter pulleys as well as gains from reducing the amount of power your engine has to lose to spin the accessories. Negatives could be dim headlights/interior lights at idle, weaker AC, etc. If you do a search you will find several different opinions on this subject.
Old 08-24-2003, 08:55 PM

Car Info: MY 03 WRX
Pulley Change

I have heard that the existing stock pulley is a sort of harmonic balancer and in the long run, replacing it may have a detrimental effect on the longevity of the engine. Any truth to this????
Old 08-25-2003, 04:49 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
If you're doing a search, you'll probably find that the boxer engine is naturally balanced. In other words, no dampening on the pulleys is required. When one piston is moving to the right, another is moving to the left, and their movement cancels each other out. You may feel a little more vibration without a dampened pulley, but most people agree that it will have no negative effect on the engine life or performance. My only concern with pulleys is the electricity reduction. I wouldn't worry about the dampening.
Old 08-27-2003, 12:38 AM

Car Info: '03 Silver WRX
Here's some more information for your research....
http://www.spdusa.com/pulley_kit.htm
Old 08-27-2003, 10:21 PM

the GFB set doesn't underdrive your generator. it only underdrives your power steering, AC and water pump so you don't have any electrical problems. Its a "10%" mod though. you can get WAY more bang for your buck with other mods....this one is part of that last 10% of the gains you can get that get more and more expensive for less and less result.

heck, you'd see more difference by putting in strut tower braces, or solid drop links.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:40 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
under 2700 rpms (ie before boost), i LOVE my gfb set... there's a BIG difference down low. i had to relearn my throttle blips to rev match. the AC does cool a little better off idle, but it certainly worked all summer.

i have yet to hear of someone cracking a crankshaft, which is essentially the ultimate "scary" outcome of these mods.

having said that, decreasing the rotational inertia of the crankshaft assembly (either with pulleys, or flywheels) MAY cause an issue with misfire CELs. the code will be triggered even though there is no misfire.

i haven't seen it mentioned here, but the big difference between underdrive and lightened is the fact that the lightened pulley will cause the car to accelerate faster but will develop the same power output at a given steady RPM (ie. same top speed). the UD pulley will actually decrease parasitic drag from accessories, leading to a higher power output at a given steady rpm (ie. higher top speed). a combination of the two, as seen in the GFB set and others, will yield both advantages.

i picked up my GFB set from a guy used for 90 bucks.

jm2c
ken
Old 08-30-2003, 09:41 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by aznfoos
As I understand, the harmonic dampener is part of my car even if I remove the pulleys, so if I slap on a new light weight pulley set, I will not have to worry about the "wear and tear".
This is not really true. Lightweight pulleys definitely will not have harmonic dampers on them, though it is a big debate over whether or not that matters. Personally, I believe the risk of damaging your crank bearings outweighs what small gains are to be had with the pulleys. It's a better idea to save up and do it right with a new flywheel.

Quick Reply: To underdrive or not? Pulley Sets