Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Turbo timers and alarms - questions about what to connect/disconnect

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 05:21 PM

Car Info: 2007 Legacy GT Spec B
Turbo timers and alarms - questions about what to connect/disconnect

I bought an 03 WRX without a factory alarm and plan to get an alarm system with ignition kill later.

However I also ordered a Blitz dual turbo timer which i plan to install soon and i am wondering after that is installed, will i have to take things into consideration when i have an aftermarket alarm system installed? Like will i be able to manually open the car with the key without setting off an aftermarket alarm, or can i have it installed in way taht it wont go off when i open the car with the keys?

Ed
Old 05-07-2003, 07:23 PM

If you go to scoobymods.com they have a write up on what to do in the alarm/ turbo timer section. Its fairly simple to do. Thomas
Old 05-08-2003, 02:24 AM

Hey, I read that the scoobymods instructions are wrong. Instead, follow these.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...tz+turbo+timer

I used these to install my turbo timer, and it works fine. All you really need to cut is the dark grn/black wire in the keyless entry module, and the grey wire by the parking brake. Just cut them, and tape them off with electrical tape. You can even wrap the original tape back around the bundle of wires so it looks like you never touched them. Hope this helps.
________
ZX14 VS HAYABUSA

Last edited by kyoung05; 03-30-2011 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-08-2003, 06:06 AM

Car Info: 2002 MBP WRX, 2012 OBP STi wagon
Those instructions work fine... for the factory alarm. He specifically says he does not have the factory alarm, and is going aftermarket. When I did this with my aftermarket alarm, the guy who installed it had to create a 7 diode bridge. Don't ask me what he did. I haven't bothered to look. However, it works flawlessly, so I'm not going to mess with it unless I have to. The way he explained it, he said that the 7 diode bridge prevented the alarm from seeing the ignition signal when the turbo timer was counting down, so it would detect that the ignition key was turned to the off position, thus starting it's arm sequence when the door opened and closed. Before, the alarm was seeing an ignition signal since it is connected to the same circuit the turbo timer is, so even if you turned the key to the off position, the alarm module still saw current on the ignition circuit, so it would not start its arming sequence on door open/close. It's been a while since I had this done, so I may be misremembering what he said, but that is the gist of it.

shadowcat