Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

turbo porting question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2003, 02:03 AM

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Question turbo porting question

hey i was going through ebay and found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2432282807

i went to their website(http://www.deadboltspeed.com/index2.html) to learn more about- but i still have a couple of questions for any one that knows about it. For one how does will it effect the durability of the turbo? Also how does it affect mid range and top end? What is the max hp that can be produced from doing this? And finally would it be a good idea to port a aftermarket turbo?

Also if anyone has any kind of information about this subject please post it. Thank you much.
Old 09-19-2003, 11:05 AM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
funny, i was actually just looking into the same thing. i sent Jerry an email last night, and there was a response waiting for me this morning.

there is a lot of talk on the other board about people getting their TD04s and VF series turbos ported. right now, i'm debating between a ported VF24 and a ported stock turbo. i'd really like to not have to do too many other modifications at the same time to support the change, but i'm concerned that i'll need to in order to safely run the VF24.
Old 09-20-2003, 10:58 PM

my understanding is that unless you specifically request modifications to the compressor wheel, it's left alone when the turbo is ported.

what is touched however, is the inlet that feeds the compressor wheel. smoothing the air flow coming into the turbo, you can use the flow more efficiently thereby generating boost at lower RPMs. it's not a rotating mass, and it's not a place where there are clearance issues with a rotating mass, so i don't quite see what the trouble would be.

oh, and feel free to get really technical, i haven't geeked out for a while -- it might do me some good.
Old 09-21-2003, 10:11 PM

impreza7, who do you work for/with? from what you've described, it seems to me that you are in the tubo porting business -- i don't suppose you'd mind identifying yourself if that's the case? thanks.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:44 AM

Car Info: 2003 subaru forester xs
jerry of deadbolt is incidentally also a moderator at nasioc. there was much discussion on nasioc about his work and many are running his monster td04's. i think somoene posted charts as well but i don't have the time to do a search right now for it (work)...

i miss the days when there was just one forum

Last edited by Benjamin Tang; 09-22-2003 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-22-2003, 12:38 PM

here is a copy of the chart that he sent me:
Attached Thumbnails turbo porting question-dyno_iclub.jpg  
Old 09-22-2003, 02:35 PM

impreza7, thanks for introducing yourself.

a dyno chart would be nice, but this is what Jerry from Deadbolt sent me when i asked for a dyno chart. it does show the turo spooling significantly quicker than the stock TD04. from what i can tell, the turbo reaches peak boost roughly 700-800 rpm sooner than the stage 2 WRX it's being compared to. it doesn't appear to make more boost than the stocker, it just comes on faster, which makes sense to me.

just looking at the chart, it would appear to me that the turbo would behave much like the stocker at high RPMs. instead of adding top end power, it just makes the effective powerband of the car wider by about 1k RPM.

Quick Reply: turbo porting question