Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Turbo lag...reduction

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2004, 03:51 PM
DrD

Car Info: 2012 Legacy 2.5GT-L
Originally Posted by ScoobyBoy
uppipes will void your warrenty.
Depends on the dealership - I asked about it and they actually install them and will reset your first CEL (if you don't fix it with a resistor) for free - they said it does not invalidate the warranty...
Old 05-23-2004, 04:00 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX JBP
Putting on an uppipe / downpipe is the way to go. with a full TBE you can gain like 30-35 awhp. With EM you can get a little more. But it will also be smoother. The warranty issue don't worry about it. Up/downpipe installments don't void your warranty. Basically let's say you have an up/downpipe installed on your car. then your tranny goes out. The up/downpipe has nothing to do with your tranny. so it will be warranited. Basically any part in your car will be warrantied as long as it doesn't have direct correlation with the modified item. Most of the subaru dealerships now a days have a performance dept. with in the dealership. Well at least where I live there are like 3-4 of them. And they all work and service modded cars. a few have even gotten warranty service without any hassle.
Old 05-25-2004, 04:45 PM

Car Info: _
Originally Posted by Subi114
Putting on an uppipe / downpipe is the way to go. with a full TBE you can gain like 30-35 awhp. With EM you can get a little more. But it will also be smoother. The warranty issue don't worry about it. Up/downpipe installments don't void your warranty. Basically let's say you have an up/downpipe installed on your car. then your tranny goes out. The up/downpipe has nothing to do with your tranny. so it will be warranited. Basically any part in your car will be warrantied as long as it doesn't have direct correlation with the modified item. Most of the subaru dealerships now a days have a performance dept. with in the dealership. Well at least where I live there are like 3-4 of them. And they all work and service modded cars. a few have even gotten warranty service without any hassle.

An up pipe / down pipe combo would increase your HP, correspondingly putting more stress on your tranny, correct? I nary doubt a warranty dept would replace a tranny under warranty if you brought your car in with an aftermarket UP/DP.

Why not phone the dealership and just ask them?
Old 05-25-2004, 11:40 PM

You know the only stress that the tranny experiences is what the driver puts it through. Whether the car is modded or not. If you're worried about warranty then keep your car stock, but then where would be the fun in that? Just find a dealer around you that is mod friendly and you'll be fine. SOA doesn't really care if you mod your car. Like I said as long as the mod doesn't have connection to what needs warranty. I have an up/downpipe and I just talked to the service writer at the dealership I go to and he said no worries about warranty whenever I have any problems with my car. I also suggest getting a high flow cat if you go with an up/downpipe. I am catless and it smells bad. My GF was driving behind me and she said that she can smell it with her windows up and just her vvents venting fresh air. SOA isn't here to ripp anyone with a modded car. They stand behind their product... It's when the car has been obviously abused that they frown on that. So just be cool with your service writer and make sure he knows you. Like your name and who you are and that you will be a loyal customer and they will treat you right. Cause SOA looks at that kind of stuff. How many people go to each dealership and they get incentives. or something of that nature. But good luck man if you need anything else just HOLLA...
Old 05-26-2004, 08:56 AM

Car Info: 98 RS
XstephenX please stop talking like you know what your saying. Sequantial turbos on a Ej20 would be next to point less. First it would not fit, newxt it would not be that effective. Yes the B4 legacy had a EJ20 twin turbo, but it also had a little bit more room because it was right hand drive. There are a number of things you can do to lower turbo lag. It was clearly stated that you just need to free up your exhaust, anything from headers to upipe, down pipe, exhuast (no larger then 78mm about 3" unless you plan on running more then 350hp). Also a larger displacement engine would incread your bottom end torque resulting in more power in the bottom end. Good look and feel free to ask questions.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:25 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
vf35
Old 05-26-2004, 07:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
My wife and I have an '03 Highlander. That was my starting point when I began the car search that led me to the WRX wagon.

In Jan '05 Toyota will introduce the Highlander Hybrid. Their web site is quite informative. One of the great things about a hybrid is the ability of the electric motor to provide extra low-end torque at low rpm. As I recall, the motor provides about 70hp. So you're talking about 70hp at zero rpm. And, they claim that the torque is virtually instantaneous.

So you could have gasoline+electric at low rpm, gasoline with turbo at mid and high rpm (electric cuts off altogether), coupled with a braking system that charges the battery to be reused for the next breathtaking launch...

This would be one way to approach the turbo lag problem. Auto manufacturers are building these kinds of cars today.
Old 05-26-2004, 07:25 PM

Car Info: 2005 WRX Wagon
btw the Highlander is V6 AWD. I'm hooked for life on AWD.
Old 05-27-2004, 12:37 AM

Car Info: WRX-04
I was always interested in getting that uppipe/dwnpipe setup. But thought I would have to upgrade the ecu first. Am i smoking crack? Or would I be alright with just the stock one?
Old 05-27-2004, 10:19 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
Originally Posted by ajen808
I was always interested in getting that uppipe/dwnpipe setup. But thought I would have to upgrade the ecu first. Am i smoking crack? Or would I be alright with just the stock one?
If your worried about it not handling the extra boost then put your mind at ease becuase it will do fine... However it would not get all of the extra performance without a ecu reflash like cobbs accessport.

Recomendation: Get the AP and reflash your ECU
Old 05-27-2004, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by Subaruski42o
XstephenX please stop talking like you know what your saying. Sequantial turbos on a Ej20 would be next to point less. First it would not fit, newxt it would not be that effective. Yes the B4 legacy had a EJ20 twin turbo, but it also had a little bit more room because it was right hand drive. There are a number of things you can do to lower turbo lag. It was clearly stated that you just need to free up your exhaust, anything from headers to upipe, down pipe, exhuast (no larger then 78mm about 3" unless you plan on running more then 350hp). Also a larger displacement engine would incread your bottom end torque resulting in more power in the bottom end. Good look and feel free to ask questions.
Who said anything about sequetial turbos?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:47 PM

Car Info: 98 RS
Here

Originally Posted by XstephenX
You could also go with a sequential turbo set up. With a small turbo for the low end and a bigger turbo for the high end. Granted sequential turbos are fairly tough to plumb as I understand it, but they would really give you the best of both worlds. Also with the smaller turbo you would really minimize the lag you are getting.

Stephen
Old 05-28-2004, 06:52 AM

thats' a good one. Does this guy own an impreza? I doubt he does. I think he is in the realm on 2f2f. Yeah a sequential turbo would be great if we had inline 6's like the supra or the skyline(drool) but we don't we have little 2.0 L motors and Honestly with little sea shells as turbos. I agree with subaruski on getting the basic bolt ons. with just that you can easily hit the 300 mark awhp... Now you can get the low end torque without going bigger displacement but it will require some work and planning. But heed the warning don't think you can just increase displacement and wala it's done. If you wanna maintain a reliable daily driver then I would leave the displacement alone. Yeah I know I'm gonna get flamed for the comment so that's why I'm gonna put this IMHO... when you start doing an engine build up you could get really get way over your head real quick. and next thing you know you spent x amount of thousands of dollars and your car still isn't running right. Best thing to spend your money on is brakes, suspension, and engine management. yeah parts is a good thing to but without real good EM then your car won't even run right. With kick *** EM you can harness the most out of your car. and in return improves the GRIN factor.
Old 05-28-2004, 07:58 AM

Car Info: WRB 2003 WRX
Thumbs down

You know the only stress that the tranny experiences is what the driver puts it through. Whether the car is modded or not.
Wrong! .... More power = more stress on other moving parts, anyone with some limited mechanical knowledge knows this. Rough driving by one also puts stress on your tranny and synchros.

Just find a dealer around you that is mod friendly and you'll be fine. SOA doesn't really care if you mod your car. Like I said as long as the mod doesn't have connection to what needs warranty.
Wrong again! .... obviously you haven't dealt with SOA, your dealership might be cool but SOA has strict policies. Major repairs have to go through SOA ... minor ones the dealership can write up and send to SOA ...

I have an up/downpipe and I just talked to the service writer at the dealership I go to and he said no worries about warranty whenever I have any problems with my car. SOA isn't here to ripp anyone with a modded car. They stand behind their product... It's when the car has been obviously abused that they frown on that.
Wrong yet again! Modding in a way is abusing your car

How many people go to each dealership and they get incentives.
Almost everyone ..... dealerships are in the business of making money and they will offer incentives to as many people as they can to "earn their business" .....
Sorry if I came out sounding harsh, but I wanted to clear up any confusion that could arise out of this .... to those who are still under warranty and are thinking about modding be careful ....

Quick Reply: Turbo lag...reduction