Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Turbo lag...reduction

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2003, 08:55 PM

Car Info: GT35R, Meth
natedizzal,

You DO know that sequential twin turbos are INCREDIBLY hard setups to do, as are supercharger/turbo setups.

If you have to ask, then you do not have the mechanical engineering skills to design that kind of system!

I mean seeing as how the STi's came STOCK with VF30s, they can't be that bad.
Old 10-11-2003, 10:28 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
Originally posted by natedizzel
I am interested in doing the sequential twin turbos. I want keep stock turbo for bottem end and throw on something huge for massive top end. How would I go about doing something like that. Where can I get a manifold for that setup? And how much would it cost me?
On a 2.0L H-4 I'd say the odds of pulling this off would be slim to none. More like none. Just not enough flow.

OK....I guess if you threw enough $$$ at it you MIGHT pull it off....
Old 10-20-2003, 03:26 AM

Originally posted by shadowsonic
Pretty much a Audi S4 setup than, could our cars handle the bi-turbo setup?

Also who would do soemthing like this i havent heard of a small turbo enough for us to do this kind of thing.
I thought Audi S4 ran identically sized turbos...one for each cylinder "bank"
Old 10-20-2003, 09:57 AM
Technical Know-It-All

Car Info: '02 WRX + '15 WRX
Someone in my car club tricked the Subaru staff into replacing his engine for free after using nitrous in a stock WRX. He just took it out, towed the car to the dealership, and said "I don't know WTF happened!".

Don't know if the newer WRX's will take it, but I know someone who twin-turbo'd a 22B, so it might.

Last edited by Brfatal; 10-20-2003 at 10:00 AM.
Old 10-20-2003, 08:24 PM

Car Info: '02 PSM WRX
It's going to be pretty hard to twin turbo a Ej20. Not enough exhaust to spool them both. Usually twins are done to atleast V6s, for example the 3000GT. From my personal Experience, the VF series are pretty good at eliminating the lag. I have a VF-35 turbo, read somewhere that this used to be the stock STi turbo in the earlier years, and it starts spooling around 2200-2400 which I think its awesome compared to the stock turbo IMHO.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:38 PM

however 3.0" will actually increase your lag

is this true? a shop here in hawaii is offering me a 4" uppipe for $375 and i was gonna get it. my car is all stock and i just want to get something to give it an extra kick. before being offered the 4" pipe, i was gonna get the helix 3" up/down pipe with hks carbonfiber exaust. does getting a big pipe increase your lag?

Quick Reply: Turbo lag...reduction