Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Turbo lag...reduction

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2003, 01:07 PM

Car Info: Boosted Geo Prizm
You need to hang out with your local subaru crew more often. Go to some of the meets and see and ask what others have done to their own cars.
Old 07-30-2003, 01:39 PM

uppipes will void your warrenty. but it will reduce some lag. itll get rid of your pre cat, giving the exhaust a smoother flow. getting rid of the downpipe will give you the most gains, but again itll void the warrenty. some have stated that with the up/down pipe comb, it felt like a n/a car.
if you decide to do both, install both at the same time!
Old 07-30-2003, 05:27 PM

turbo lag on forced induction cars will always be present. there are ways to reduce the lag, however, to actually "rid" of it would be impossible at this point. however, there are many companies that are trying to reduce it to a bare mininum, however i would say either get twin turbos or nitrous, but lag will always be present. also, i don't think there are many turbochargers that actually give you good low end torque at low rpm's and good top end all in the same package. it's either going to be one or the other. that's why, when selecting a turbo, you should probably revolve your choice/choices around if you're looking for a good daily driver or just a good track turbo. however, turbo lag isn't all that bad, especially on a rolling start. for the track, it may be a bit different. but it's all a matter of opinion and what you're looking for.
Old 07-30-2003, 08:16 PM

do yourself a HUGE favor, and dont listen to any mechanic that recommends a CAI for a wrx. Especially if they think its going to do a damned thing for lag.
What you need is an up pipe and a down pipe.
This will bring your spool down a good 800+rpm along with giving you another 20-25whp
But yes its gonna kill your warranty.
My car hasnt had a warranty since it was about a week old.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:16 PM

yeah, an up-pipe and down-pipe should cut down the lag. hey Davenow, i'm on the same boat as you, no warranty. isn't it good, we can mod without thinking about that warranty crap, however, if something goes wrong, it's to the bank machine we go.
Old 07-30-2003, 09:48 PM

NOS will eliminate the lag.hahha.

Quick Reply: Turbo lag...reduction