Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

turbo choices???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 10:11 AM
First 12sec WRX in HI

Car Info: 12.93@106.71
N2O,

Not to be **** or anything but have you tried a search? You are opening up a can of worms with this one.

The VF-30 and VF-34 are basically the same turbos with the exception that the VF-34 is a full ball bearing turbo, thus in theory has quicker spool up. It is also about $300 more and some say it does not truly spool up any faster than the VF-30. The VF-35 is a newer IHI turbo but it is actually smaller, has quicker spool up than the previous two but doesn't push as much airflow and thus lower hp.

I've got the VF-23, it suits my needs, quick spool up with very little lag and is very streetable. However there are many many turbos out there all of which can be argued as streetable.

Anyone else want to comment?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:40 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Look here for interesting specs:

http://www.scoobytuner.com/turbospecs.htm
Old 01-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Pr0n King

The VF34 is the stock STi turbo now - and it can produce the same hp as the VF30. Seems to be pushing around ~270whp "reliably".
Old 01-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Pr0n King

I love the pull of the VF30. While you definitely increase the lag over a TXS Stage 2 setup when going to Stage 4 - it's not bad at all. In fact I think that we are all so spoilied by the almost non-existent lag on the fully de-catted WRX that we have become hypersensitive to any sort of spool-time increase.

A fully de-catted TXS Stage 4 will have less lag than a bone stock WRX.

I spoke to Phil at TXS and told him I was thinking of purchasing a VF34 - and he actually told me to stick with the VF30 and save my money. He said the $300 could be better spent elsewhere. He also mentioned that he had a VF34 on his personal car, and pulled it off in favor of a VF30 because he was more confident of the bearing durability in '30.

Quick Reply: turbo choices???