Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Topic: My car only makes 8.5 pounds of boost with stage 2 asp??Problem!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 03:52 PM

Angry Topic: My car only makes 8.5 pounds of boost with stage 2 asp??Problem!!

I have a 05 sti and I have been using the asp stage 2 program for awhile now.Just today I was looking at my boost gauge and it was only reading 10 pounds.I thought the line might have been crimped or something so the guage was not right.But I hooked up the live boost controller on the asp and it was only reading 8.7 pounds at max!!!My blow off vavle was the last upgrade and I have stock everything else.Any help please.I don't want to do to the dealer on this one.They already hate me over a past strut issue.Thanks.

"Long time reader going posting pro!"
Old 11-05-2005, 10:18 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Need more info, like what other mods have you done, etc.
Old 11-07-2005, 08:40 AM

Car Info: Black Car
Make sure the bov is on tight enough and tuned properly. Also check for leaks.
Old 11-07-2005, 09:01 AM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Put the stock bypass valve back on and see if the boost returns to normal. That will at least isolate the problem or rule out the BOV.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM

I did a little work today on the car trying to solve my low psi problem.I went back to stock on everything.That included my stock bov and ASP programing.I checked for leaks and I still found nothing.I can't figure it out.I refuse to bring my car to a dealer... any suggestions on any service or shop manual I can read up on to better understand why my car is doing this?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:56 PM

Car Info: 05 H2 SUT, 45 GPW, 10 Murano, 13 Boss 302
Originally Posted by turbolag
I did a little work today on the car trying to solve my low psi problem.I went back to stock on everything.That included my stock bov and ASP programing.I checked for leaks and I still found nothing.I can't figure it out.I refuse to bring my car to a dealer... any suggestions on any service or shop manual I can read up on to better understand why my car is doing this?
List out all of your mods and we'll see what we can do.

The strange thing is that your problem started out of the blue. That smacks of a failed part (boost controller, wastegate actuator) or a blown off vacuum hose. I'm not sure what your "ASP" is, but ECUtek reflashes have the ability to run a low boost and high boost map which is triggered by the rear defogger switch during startup and you may have a similar situation.
Old 11-09-2005, 09:38 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: 2005 LGT wagon
Did you change out any vacuum lines?
I see quite a few WRX & STi owners wanting to "dress up" their engine compartments by using fancy red/blue/yellow silicone vacuum line.
If the hose is the wrong diameter, you'll have problems.
Also, if you forgot to put the restrictor pill into the new line coming off of the turbo, you'll have problems.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:52 PM

ok so..... any ideas.Say it isn't a vacum leak.What else could i consider looking at?What reads the vacum?Any web sites that I can check out to help me out?
Old 11-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Car Info: WRB STi Hatch, JSW Diesel
any uppipe leaks or leaks coming from the header? i had a small uppipe leak before where it joins together at the headers which caused me to only boost 9 psi. i couldnt hear any leaks either might wanna check that out.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:49 PM

Car Info: 121 CI of ... BOXER
what is your vaccum at idle? that should tell you if u have a vacuum leak....
Old 11-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
Origami posted by turbolag
ok so..... any ideas.Say it isn't a vacum leak.What else could i consider looking at?What reads the vacum?Any web sites that I can check out to help me out?
We're getting into speculation and conjecture here.

Why don't we start with Mr. Egan's suggestion of you first listing all of the engine mods on your car. It's tough trying to diagnose a problem when we don't know what you've modified. Please also be specific. What is 'ASP'? I'm not familiar with any subie parts with that name.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 11-19-2005, 05:46 PM

Car Info: Rust bucketo
Hmm.. I think he might have been mixed up with the abbreviation of Accessport, instead of AP, he used ASP.

I think it's safe to assume that he has an Accessport Stage 2, and currently everything is stock too, with a stock map.

I have no experience with these not hitting target boost things, so I honestly can't help much here .