Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

!!!They don't want to warranty my car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 01:38 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX, blue
!!!They don't want to warranty my car!!!

O.k., listen to my mods and tell me if i am crazy or not.

I first bought the can in Jan. after only 1000 miles the car tossed a check engine light SO i took it read the code and cleared it (PO1443) it is an engine misfire code and then they gave me the car back after about an hour and told me if it happened again they would ahve to reflash the ecu because that is what subaru calls for. Since that, the light has come on, gone off (it will reset itself after a sort time) and now the dumb light is back on. I have no drivability problems I just hate looking at it. my mods are After market gauges, HKS BOV, and HKS turbo timer. They claim that because i have "moded the car" it is not in warranty, I was like are you joking? they told me that on the phone without even seeing my little blue baby. the guy on the phone compared me to another car they are working on where the owner removed his entire exhaust and not replaced it with anything, and my complaining about a warranty issue to his. After talking to another dealer, one I wish I had bought my car from, he instructed me to be safe then sorry and remove the BOV and the timer and then call them back and make an appointment and I did and it has worked. It's not like I am trolling for a new car after i ran 20 pounds of boost or something I am simply trying to get what I was promissed after the first time, a reflash. I wanted it fixed before I did engine mods or i would know if i had a real code go off on me. My questions are as follows 1) can i get some good pics of some unmoded bov's i can't quit remember what it looked like before I did the hks BOV 2) can you believe I got to take it off to get them to fix something everyone but them( 2 other shops) have agreed doesn't effect that at all?

Thanks, to anyone that can help me out with this and anyone that can offer me some guidance on these topic's .
Old 08-07-2003, 02:16 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX, blue
Please leave me some pics of OEM bov installed
Old 08-07-2003, 08:06 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
yeah, nothing you can really do... except put it back to stock and go to another dealership.

this kinda treatment makes me not want to buy another subaru... it's nice to have some kinda leeway with modding the car, i mean they know damn well that certain mods are just fine for reliability.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
California has laws about warranty voiding only if the part in question could mechanically be a culprit in regards to the warranty issue. Check to see if MD has such laws.

You might want to try to call SOA...

The timer is a non-issue. But hey, the BOV is easy enough to get on and off. That might be the least hassle, to remove the BOV and get it fixed. Turn the timer off and cover it up

jason
Old 08-09-2003, 06:03 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Sell your Subaru and buy an EVO. That's the only solution.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:31 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
is it just me or can the rich condition caused by 100% atmospheric BOVs not cause a CEL.

did the CEL come on after you installed the BOV or before any mods? and did you know that TTs are totally unnecessary with stock turboed WRXs?
Old 08-09-2003, 08:55 PM

Car Info: 02 wrx
Originally posted by aznfoos
Some dealorships are unrealistic about aftermarket modding and warranty, while others are surprisingly tolerant. It really depends and should check things out with your local shop before modding your WRX.

EX. In Edmonton, Rally Subaru was OK with an up-pipe and GFB BOV and light-weight pulley, but now that I'm in London, ON, it is not and my car only has a wimpy cold air intake
Funny you mention about the dealer in London Ontario... They are HORIBLE!!! I go to school there, and whenever I have problems with the car, they turn a blind eye to me and tell me that it is because my car is modded....All I asked them to do was to pull a CEL for me, and they decided that they will not do so since the car was not stock... I did not tell them to fix anything under warranty, all i wanted was to know what the CEL was for.

Aparently, the service dept won some award last year or the year before for excellence of service... If you ask me, the head tech must have been performing 'favours' for the judges because he is a pure and complete a-hole to deal with..... I will never set foot in that place again... much less take my car there for service.

If I were you, I would go find another dealer to deal with. If not, they might get tempted to report your car and mods to SOC, resulting in yout warranty being blackflaged, and revoked...
Old 08-12-2003, 02:02 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
Originally posted by Steppin Razor
is it just me or can the rich condition caused by 100% atmospheric BOVs not cause a CEL.

did the CEL come on after you installed the BOV or before any mods? and did you know that TTs are totally unnecessary with stock turboed WRXs?
Steppin Razor beat me to it. If your BOV could have reasonably caused the CEL, it is most certainly not a warranty item. You should be prepared to pay the dealership to read the error code in your ECU. If the error code is unrelated to the modifications you have done, then it is clearly a warranty item, and you should not be charged for the diagnostic work or repair work - likely an ECU reflash.