Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

STi hood scoop and (replica) splitter

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 06:45 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
STi hood scoop and (replica) splitter

I just installed an STi hood scoop and replica Zerosports stainless steel splitter in place of the factory scoop and underscoop.

Installation of the scoop was simple, once the underscoop was removed. A ratchet, 8mm socket, and a Philips screwdriver are the only tools necessary for the swap.

It isn't possible to retain the original rubber intercooler seal that is attached by pop-in clips to the factory underscoop. It's pre-molded to conform to a smaller rectangular opening than what is on the Zerosports splitter, which is probably sized for the STi intercooler. I installed the splitter anyway, thinking that it's a wash as far as more airflow to the intercooler without the rubber seal. Also, the replica Zerosports piece does not conform to the underside of the hood as well as the factory piece.

The painted scoop looks nice on the car and it doesn't look like it'd be too difficult to fashion a mesh screen to keep low-flying birds and such out of the larger opening.

--
^ww^
"...axles of evil..." - George W. Bush
Old 02-03-2003, 10:56 AM
Pr0n King

Car Info: Turncoat Turbo
Thanks for the write-up!
Old 02-03-2003, 12:58 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
i was afraid of that, so how well did the seal between the air splitter and the intercooler? according to shiv, he mentioned that the rubber seal on the factory piece is critical....there were some dyno number even, it was an old post over in nasioc.....

so how well do u think it seats itself to the intercooler?

pics would be cool, but can't think of a way that u can take it, hehe
Old 02-03-2003, 08:22 PM

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
i was afraid of that, so how well did the seal between the air splitter and the intercooler? according to shiv, he mentioned that the rubber seal on the factory piece is critical....there were some dyno number even, it was an old post over in nasioc.....

pics would be cool, but can't think of a way that u can take it, hehe
It doesn't seal at all, I'm afraid. I think the gap is pretty large. I'm not able to take a picture but maybe I can figure out a way to measure the gap with some clay or Play-Doh. I just wanted people to be aware that maybe a Zerosports replica splitter may not be the best thing to use with an OEM WRX intercooler.

I'm not sure if it wouldn't be better to use the STi scoop without the splitter and just replace the WRX underscoop on the underside of the hood. This is the easiest way to retain a good seal.

Maybe there's a different splitter on the market that works with the WRX intercooler. I wouldn't think it would be that difficult for the splitter manufacturers to make one that can accept the OEM rubber seal if they re-size the splitter rectangular outlet. The seal is retained by plastic clips, IIRC.

--
^ww^
Old 02-04-2003, 08:05 PM

Car Info: platinum rex wagon
thanx for the heads up, i think i'm going to see if i can just make a splitter myself

do u know if the zerosport splitter will allow u to maintain the rubber seal? it's kinda costly, but would be curious to see
Old 02-04-2003, 08:32 PM

Originally posted by capt'n'caveman
do u know if the zerosport splitter will allow u to maintain the rubber seal? it's kinda costly, but would be curious to see
Supposedly the splitter I ordered (from Gruppe-S) is a duplicate of the Zerosports, so unless Zerosports makes a unit with seal that is specifically for the smaller WRX intercooler, it won't fit without some work.

i think i'm going to see if i can just make a splitter myself
If you try this, hope it works out.

It might be possible to bend a new splitter insert, or if someone has access to a metal brake-bending equipment, then screw or tack weld the piece on to the factory WRX piece. The drawback to using the WRX piece is that the underscoop section is sized for the lower height of the WRX hood scoop - further mods will be necessary to take advantage of the increased frontal area of the STi scoop. STi scoop/WRX underscoop combo may still be more effective than the WRX hood scoop/WRX underscoop.

--
^ww^