Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Sooo...i put my stock bpv back on today

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:53 AM

Car Info: '05 Crystal Grey Metallic WRX Sport Wagon
Originally Posted by ride5000
fine. everyone who notices decreased milage--including myself--are wrong.

everyone in those posts i've scraped up is wrong.

and YOU guys are right.

ha! this thread is a joke.

You clearly didn't read what I wrote. There WILL be decreased milage due to a BOV. But this decrease is NOT due to pumping too much gas into the engine. It is due to not having enough AIR in the engine (because of the effect of dumping the air charge to the atmosphere as others have explained). This makes the car run rich (as you know) and this leads to DECREASED ENGINE EFFICIENCY which, on the planet earth, is measured most comonly in MILES PER GALLON. So, you see, there will be a decrease in milage but it is not caused by burning more gas per engine cylce, it is caused by needing more cycles per distance traveled (because each cycle gets you less energy).
Old 06-24-2005, 12:54 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: the blue bucket
Originally Posted by MVWRX
You clearly didn't read what I wrote. There WILL be decreased milage due to a BOV. But this decrease is NOT due to pumping too much gas into the engine. It is due to not having enough AIR in the engine (because of the effect of dumping the air charge to the atmosphere as others have explained). This makes the car run rich (as you know) and this leads to DECREASED ENGINE EFFICIENCY which, on the planet earth, is measured most comonly in MILES PER GALLON. So, you see, there will be a decrease in milage but it is not caused by burning more gas per engine cylce, it is caused by needing more cycles per distance traveled (because each cycle gets you less energy).
That is dead on!
Old 06-24-2005, 06:49 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
how about a cliff note

the reason the cars after fires and people think the car is running richer/lower mpg with a bov is:

when air is measured to mix with gas its done at the intake right past the filter at the MAF sensor

when you release the gas the bov then releases air that was measured to be burnt with a set mount of fuel

because of the bov releasing the air the car then runs rich cause it didnt mix with 100% of the air it was measured to combust with fuel

thus causing it to mix and combust rich with fuel.

edgar,