Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Sooo...i put my stock bpv back on today

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2005, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by porkchop
an atmo vent BOV should not effect your gas mileage...

your car is running rich not because it's adding fuel, but because it doesn't have enough air..

the air has already been calculated by the MAF, so it knows how much fuel to add in, when you release the bov it's just losing all the air that has already been calculated making the car run rich, but not because it's adding more fuel...

mr porkchop is right
Old 06-17-2005, 04:46 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally Posted by SpicySpaghetti6
mr porkchop is right
my extensive experience (25k miles) swapping a txs rfl and a modded stocker back and forth says he's wrong.

but whatever.
Old 06-17-2005, 09:53 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by ride5000
folks, use your brains.

how/why does the car run rich if it does not use more fuel?

the extra fuel comes when ADDITIONAL air must be sucked past the MAF sensor AFTER the BOV vents to atmosphere. this air used to be ported back into the turbo inlet pipe and is now lost, and must be REPLACED by MORE AIR from the intake system through the air filter and it is metered as it goes past the MAF sensor. it is during that time that MORE FUEL gets called for by the ecu.

if you think that means your air filter will get dirtier, faster, as well, then you would be right.

ken
not a hater, have a txs rfl run half the time
The fuel doesn't sit there and wait for more air... the air is blown out right before the throttle and the injectors are after the throttle, so there is no way for the injectors to stop spraying while it waits for air to come back through a intake, maf, turbo, intercooler, then intake manifold.

it's basic 4 stroke engine theory... if there is more fuel and not enough air in the cylinder during the stroke, it just won't burn it all.. and gets pushed into the exhaust, thats why you get after fire/fire ***** out the exhaust.
Old 06-17-2005, 10:28 AM
VIP Member

The fuel doesn't sit there and wait for more air... the air is blown out right before the throttle and the injectors are after the throttle, so there is no way for the injectors to stop spraying while it waits for air to come back through a intake, maf, turbo, intercooler, then intake manifold.

it's basic 4 stroke engine theory... if there is more fuel and not enough air in the cylinder during the stroke, it just won't burn it all.. and gets pushed into the exhaust, thats why you get after fire/fire ***** out the exhaust.
i am not the only one who has noticed a drop in fuel economy after fitting a 100% vta.

so where does it go?
Old 06-17-2005, 10:38 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: some silver thing
Originally Posted by ride5000
i am not the only one who has noticed a drop in fuel economy after fitting a 100% vta.

so where does it go?

don't know what to you tell... all the cars we've modified with bov among other stuff have not seen much change with fuel consumption...

I can see if I can dig up some dyno logs off the our dyno and show you the injector duty cycle versus the RPM..
Old 06-17-2005, 08:23 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX WR Blue
...ok if most people are saying that i am full of it..how do you explain the vehicle bogging down and hesitation.. other than the nut behind the wheel... if it is the last answer I will send you the bov and you test it... I also may have a defective bov which i did not take into considderation.
Old 06-18-2005, 02:35 AM

Car Info: 04 Toyota Tacoma
Originally Posted by BoostinEJ20
soo after about 6 months of dealing with bad gas milage among other problems that may have been cause I put my stock bov/bpv back on today. I must admit that the car runs alot smoother now and shifting is alot smoother. Im gonna see how my gas milage is effected and ill post what the difference is. btw my car is a 2005 wrb with about 4000 miles on it and a turboxs up pipe and turbo back with standard/magnaflow muffler. with the bov i was averageing about 200 miles with about 1/4 tank left. i was running an hks ssqv. u guys/girls think that it was a good decision to take it off? i know the sound was cool, but it wasnt worth the possible damage that could be caused.
Damn, I fill up the same time as you, a 1/4 tank left. I usually get 300+ miles.
Old 06-18-2005, 04:54 PM

Car Info: 2005 STI
well watever the reason, i'm guessing that i along with some other owners seem to be getting worse gas mileage with a 100% atmospheric BOV. I log it everytime I fill up and i average between 2 and 3 miles more per gallon during straight stop and go city driving in New York.

My only mods are reflash and TBE
Old 06-18-2005, 05:22 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by BlueREX04
...ok if most people are saying that i am full of it..how do you explain the vehicle bogging down and hesitation..
The computer sees the MAF first, then uses the front o2 for closed loop fueling. You might feel a bit of a stumble ,but it DOES NOT use more gas. The computer doesn't cause the driver to push the gas pedal harder.
if you ever want to learn something READ and listen then talk/type

edgar.
Old 06-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by zumnwrx
if you ever want to learn something READ and listen then talk/type

edgar.

That would be nice and all except for the fact there is more b.s. than my honda forum.

case in point.
One person is experiencing one thing and another is not so it automaticaly the person that is having the problem is full of ****... I HAVE BEEN A TECHNICIAN FOR 15 YEARS, I REPORT THEM AS I EXPERIENCE THEM...

I am a new owner of a WRX and was expecting good answers or just real help. thanks you all.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:14 PM

OK more of just a general question(s) and not so much pointing fingers (reminds me of being in highschool)

For those of you that have after market BOV let me know what year the car is and what type of BOV is being used and any other mods, if any.

I have a 04 WRX everything stock except for a GFB 50/50 BOV... and I dont like it.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:27 PM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
I have the WORX Tuning adjustable BOV. Set at 25% atmosphere I get 20-22mpg, mostly highway. That's Cobb Stage 2, Vishnu Turboback w/highflow cat, and Godspeed uppipe. I'm currently testing the fuel economy by setting the BOV to 100% recirculate due to this thread to see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-18-2005, 08:55 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: R.I.P 03 aspen white wrx
Originally Posted by BlueREX04
I HAVE BEEN A TECHNICIAN FOR 15 YEARS, I REPORT THEM AS I EXPERIENCE THEM...
ok dude im not trying to be a dick (seriously ) but incase you didn’t know porkchop up there knows what hes talking about when it comes to the wrx engine, and its management.

porkchop lay'd out in a nutshell how the ecu works in delivering fuel w/without a bov and its effects.

what your experiencing as far as your Subaru might be something else... maybe heavy foot syndrome? idunno

edgar,
and you don’t have to yell here, maybe as a tech yelling gets you something but not here.

Ps. I hate most all techs basTurds think they know everything
Old 06-19-2005, 11:56 PM

ok dude im not trying to be a dick (seriously ) but incase you didn’t know porkchop up there knows what hes talking about when it comes to the wrx engine, and its management.

porkchop lay'd out in a nutshell how the ecu works in delivering fuel w/without a bov and its effects.

what your experiencing as far as your Subaru might be something else... maybe heavy foot syndrome? idunno

edgar,
and you don’t have to yell here, maybe as a tech yelling gets you something but not here.

Ps. I hate most all techs basTurds think they know everything
I like that and no I am not one of those. I am jsut dissapointed thats all. just trying to learn without some one saying that I am wrong... that may be the case but then again so could you. generaly speaking.
Old 06-20-2005, 05:02 AM
VIP Member

that's funny...

it seems to me like he's arguing that pulling more air past a MAF sensor won't end up causing more fuel to be injected into an engine.

that's contrary to everything else i've ever seen, read, learned, or otherwise understood.

but yeah, he knows what he's talking about.

Quick Reply: Sooo...i put my stock bpv back on today