Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

slight whistling/ringing noise when cruising at highway speeds

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Car Info: Audi B6 S4
slight whistling/ringing noise when cruising at highway speeds

i notice this slight ringing/whistling noise coming from the back of my car when i travel at highway speeds. it doesn't increase or decrease when i change the throttle pressure. can it be a exhaust leak or something? i also hear a howling noise when i let go of throttle at highway speeds. i currently have an hks downpipe and a hks catback.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:52 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
I know that at extremely high speeds the mirrors make the noise you seem to be describing and sometimes its hard to tell its that. hmm...you did change all the gaskets when you installed the exhaust right?
Old 01-28-2004, 10:26 AM

Just wondering, but did you by any chance install a sub or amp?
Old 01-28-2004, 02:48 PM

Car Info: WR Blue WRX
I get the same noise when my windows don't seal correctly. Try rolling the windows down slightly and roll them back up while they are closed. This normally decreases the volume or eliminates the noise completly. Also what awns said the mirrors make a horrible buzzing sound, almost like a bee flying in your ear at regular speeds but is normally hard to hear with the windows up...

just my opinion..

-skooter
Old 01-28-2004, 04:24 PM

Car Info: 2002 psm wrx
Originally posted by sKOOTeR WRX
I get the same noise when my windows don't seal correctly. Try rolling the windows down slightly and roll them back up while they are closed. This normally decreases the volume or eliminates the noise completly.
I also get a humming/whistling noise, but found that it was my right passenger window...I'd have the passenger press against it and the sound would be gone, or i'd roll it down a bit then back up...no more sound..

How fast are you going when you say "highway speeds"

I'd say have someone ride with you to try to find the exact location of the sound while you keep your eyes on the road. That's what I did.

Ryan
Old 01-28-2004, 05:25 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2004 WRBlue WRX sedan
Yeah, i've got the same problem. My driver side window doesn't seal properly either, so when i'm traveling at anything over 40 mph, i hear some wind noise. Unfortunately after i roll the window down and then back up, i still have the noise. It could be an exhaust leak in your scenario. I can't explain why you get that whistling when you let off of the throttle.
Old 01-28-2004, 09:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 05' Evo 8
I have the wind noise from the passenger window too and i hate the mirrors, hot day just cruising ...bzzzzzzzz.z.z.z.z..z
Old 08-03-2004, 08:17 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by qwk_wrx
I have the wind noise from the passenger window too and i hate the mirrors, hot day just cruising ...bzzzzzzzz.z.z.z.z..z
UGHHHHHH!!!!! WHat is that bzzzzzzz noise coming from. Passenger window up or down, as soon as I get to 55mph - 60mph the bzzzzzzzz starts. I bought this car used and have had it for about 2 weeks. At first it was fine, Just turned up the radio a bit but now the noise is getting on my nerves!!! Is is from the mirror or the molding? Can it be fixed???
Old 08-10-2004, 08:28 AM
VIP Member

Nope

Originally Posted by allxusedxup
could it be the downpipe, i just got mine installed and it seems to make a slight whistling sound from around 1500-3000 rpm's. dont know if thats normal or not but it's only from underneath the car, which you can hear when you are driving. it actually sounds amazing, but it could be your problem maybe?
The passenger side mirror seems to be the problem where the window meets the mirror. The driver side mirror makes a "whooosh" noise.