Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

silencer removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2003, 08:49 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
The fender well is very open to the air and it's the same temp as the outside. The front part of the intake isn't gonna pressurize the fender or give it anymore air than is in there. Also the snorkus has good sized holes in the bottom to let out any trapped water so that isn't gonna gain any pressure either.

I wish people would stop calling the front intake "ram air" It's just the front part of the intake, look at your hood just above where the intake is and you'll see a little plastic thing that blocks air (and water and bugs) from going directly into the front part of the intake when the hood is shut.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:04 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Peatys more right than he's saying heh. Relative to the increase in cylinder air mass created by the turbo, this "ram air" might as well not exist. The only reason why its on an Impreza is to bring cool air in. And, the air in the fender well itself is cool enough. The only reason why the intake goes thru there is that there's no more room for the resonator... and even if there was, its not fun having the incoming air heatsoak in a resonator in the engine bay.

I just don't get why there's so much discussion about this. Remove it. The sound diffrence is considerable (except for you granny-like drivers, I suppose). There's no good reason to have a resonator except to appease your grandmother when you take her to get groceries.

jason
Old 09-03-2003, 10:26 PM

I'm just looking to draw air from both the fender and the under hood intake. (I know it isn't actually ram air) I found this fabricated piece over at NASIOC. http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...lencer+removal
Look to page 20 for pictures. This is kind of what I'm looking for, but this particular piece will only draw air from the under hood intake. I suppose you could drill holes in it to pull air from the fender as well.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Why bother though? Pulling air through about 3 feet of intake has to be more resistant and turbulant flow than pulling air through nothing. My guess is the air being pulled from above the radiator is gonna get some heated air from the radiator when you aren't moving too. The fender air is just fine.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:01 PM

Hello folks,

I have a 2002(4EAT) WRX. I've had these intakes on my car:
stock
Unifilter CAI
Stock with Green Filter
Unifilter Ram Pod.

The stock one...well we all know that one. The CAI did nothing cept sounded cool. The Green filter combo was faster than the CAI and stock I thought. Seemed the low end was a little better on the car. It sounded strange to me though. Now I have this rampod job. Its loud! I think it helps out the low end(again) a bit. Nothin major though. It didn't really effect A\F ratios. In fact on my Greddy gauge at the full throttle I always read rich. I have a UTEC stage 1 also installed. So in my opinion less you're making a ton of power, or really like that intake noise, stick with the stock set up. I also have the STI hood scoop....so that might make things a bit louder.
Old 09-23-2003, 01:33 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 01 Impreza RSTi, 08 Evo MR, and 13 XV
Afterall our favorite monster, the STi makes 300 h.p. with
stock filter and silencer in place.

No offense but the stock filter and silencer is not responsoble for the whopping 300hp that the sti produces. it is merely a supporting agent in the process. If this was the case all of us would be trying to get a stock intake system off of an sti to put in our wrx. Just my 2 cents.

Old 09-23-2003, 01:47 PM

The silencer and airbox on an STi is the same one as most all other Subaru's with MAF's. Some have a different front part where the air enters, either going behind the headlamp like my 99RS, my 97 OB and 04'XT or above the radiator like my 02' OB VDC (H6) or an 02-3' WRX. The same airfilter will fit in each airbox.
Old 09-23-2003, 07:06 PM

Humm, I dont' think it's a good idea to cut the bottom part of the airbox out (the part below the panel filter) I think it gets pretty hot in that area. Pulling from the fender I can believe the temps will be lower but not pulling from the motor bay.

Scoobymods you say? I'll have to check it out
Old 10-05-2004, 01:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
Revising an old thread for those of you curious.

I pulled out my intake silencer and hacked off the bottom portion, I did not seal it. I don't think it's going to get that filthy, to tell you the truth . There's no increase in performance that I can tell, but my car runs cooler. The water temp sits lower than it used to. I'm going to try again tomorrow just to make sure that it wasn't just me.

-GDO
Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 STi
I tested it out again and it works. My water temp sits at the quarter mark now instead of the half mark. It wasn't a fluke! Not only does it sound good, but it's keeping my temp lower (or so it seems). It seems pretty safe to run too, no CEL .

-GDO
Old 08-01-2006, 04:11 PM

Car Info: 04 WRX 5 speed, Aspen White
Does anyone have a step by step with pictures? That would be great.