Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Screaming sounds hmm..???

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2004, 11:22 PM

Car Info: 03 WRX seden
Screaming sounds hmm..???

OK. I brought my car to my local dealer who is usually very good with working on cars with mods. But anyway they are being a pain now. Long story short they said they now want to charge me $80 an hour and said they need to remove "non-subaru" parts off the car to find the problem. Anyway, I have a wining screaming whistle sound after 3k rpms. A guy that works at the dealer told me that its the BOV, but i checked that and put the stock BOV back on and still have the same sound, So, Im getting a new bov gasket on monday, maybe its that, but if anybody knows what else it might be LET ME KNOW, its driving me crazy. Its wierd its still holding full boost too, So I have no idea. HMM....Thanks everyone.
Old 07-17-2004, 11:46 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Your turbo spooling up? The WRX engine/tranny makes all manner of noises, the turbo being one of my favorites... Did it just start making this noise or has it always made it and have you been in any other WRXs (I'm assuming that's what car you have) and heard how they sound?
Old 07-18-2004, 10:36 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 04 wrx
exhaust leak??

if the leak was just right it would make a whistling screaming sound with higher rpms and you would still get full boost.

i had it happen because of a shoddy welding job before
Old 07-18-2004, 11:05 AM

Car Info: 06 OBP STI
I had a very annoying high pitched scream due to a uppipe leak. It was vibrating the gasket and producing a sound like a mentally challenged kid with a harmonica.
Old 07-18-2004, 07:00 PM

Car Info: .............................................................................
UP pipe leak and/or one of the intake parts between the turbo and the throttle plate is loose/leaking....$80/hr and remove stuff....I DON'T THINK SO....
Old 07-18-2004, 09:00 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
Had similar noise from my car when i go into boost. Even partial boost would bring it on. Replaced the gasket at the bottom of the uppipe, between exhaust manifold and uppipe. And used new hardware. Torqued it down. No more noise. Do it yourself. It should take no more then an hour. I took about a half hour. Just remove the plastic shield under the front. (2 bolts and 4 snap clips) remove heat shield (4 bolts) spray the 2 uppipe bolts with some pb blaster. Wait about 5 to 10 min. Take the 2 bolts out, slide old gasket out (it actually falls out) slide new gasket in. Install new bolts. I believe torque is 26 ftlbs.

good luck
Old 07-18-2004, 09:42 PM

Thanks all. I know 80$ and hour is ****ed! I thought it was the uppipe, but they said they checked that out. I might just take off my parts and bring it back to them. I'm pretty sure its the up-pipe, one of my buddys had the same thing, but we shall see. Thanks again.

Bryan C
SQC#154
Old 07-18-2004, 11:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
You're not running an aftermarket turbo yet, are you? I'm just wondering... could it be that as opposed to an exhaust leak?
Old 07-19-2004, 04:44 PM

No aftermarket turbo. Anyway, I took of the intercooler today and I had a ****ed up gasket on the flage under the intercooler, So I replaced with a new one, and STILL SCREAMING LOUDER NOW!!!! W T F, maybe I should get a civic, this is ****ing killing me.
Old 07-20-2004, 03:57 PM

Car Info: Its a gross polluter : (
put all stock parts back in n bring it to the dealership if u still have a warranty.
Old 07-20-2004, 04:02 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally Posted by GDB-EJ20
put all stock parts back in n bring it to the dealership if u still have a warranty.
Uh, no, that would be fraud.

But that's beside the point. High-pitched screaming sounds that come on at high rpms are either boost leaks or exhaust leaks. What mods do you have? The most common place to get that whistling sound is the BOV flange gasket, the back of the IC gaskets, from a loose clamp on the hose coming off the compressor, or the uppipe gaskets. Sometimes downpipes can do it too.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:57 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: want a WRX
Well they know about the parts already and are going to charge him to take them off aren't they?

If it was an uppipe leak, I didn't think it would reach full boost?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:09 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX WRB 4EAT VF34 Kit w/AP
If it was an uppipe leak, I didn't think it would reach full boost? [/QUOTE]

I thought this too. I had my leak at the bottom of the uppipe gasket, and I still reached full boost. It was more of an annoying sound. It feels a little more pepier. So maybe it just made boost come on a little slower.
Old 07-26-2004, 02:15 PM

Car Info: 2011 STi wagon
I had a screaming sound once. Last time I gave him a ride to work. Doesn't *everyone* do a four-wheel drift into the employee parking area??

Seriously, though, does the sound vary according to engine RPM or turbine RPM? I'd say the exhaust is probably not part of it unless there's a "whizzing"/snapping sound - that's usually my reminder that I didn't torque an exhaust fitting properly.