Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

scoobysport exhausts built by a high school shop class?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 04:26 PM

Car Info: 03 Sonic Yellow WRX Sedan
Originally posted by BAN SUVS
I beg to differ. Our systems can and do pass the actual emissions test. They have done so many times for many customers.

KEY WORD: EMISSIONS

In CA, you cannot legally pass without having all smog equipment in place. (ie. the visual inspection) So it only LOOKS SMOG LEGAL. I've seen a Celica All Trac Turbo pass emissions w/ NO CATS, supposedly illegal JDM motors passing emissions w/ 1 cat, and many Subaru's that pass with a single cat. Turbo cars are VERY CLEAN, but it doesnt mean it'll pass a SMOG CHECK.

The only "hype" I see about Scooby Sport comes from owners of their products who generally like them. I would do nothing to detract from the opinions of a satisfied customer.

" The ScoobySport is especially known for two things - brutally early torque peaks, and the best sound in the business."
- an exerpt from the rally performance website regarding their exhaust systems.

Again, "best sounding" is up to the individual consumer. I have heard very few people dislike the sound of the Scooby Sport.

How retarded must a muffler be to sound BAD on a Subaru?! The worst sounding muffler on a subaru (based on all the opinions of the public and subaru owners in So Cal) is the Blitz one... yet it still sounds better than pretty much any exhaust on most other cars. No one complains about the Scooby Sport muffler, but if they knew that they could get an equally nice, if not nicer sound for less... then they would complain.
Anyways, my point all along was that i dont like ScoobySport products and that he should get something else... like Vishnu. I don't know what BAN SUV's is trying to prove... but I'm just trying to help someone make a better choice on parts for their car.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:38 PM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
Originally posted by DarriiffftaaHuy
you WILL feel a difference in performance... you're removing 2 cats.
That's the comment that prompted me to discuss the performance losses of a cat vs. a bad downpipe flange. Of course a twin dump pipe makes more gains (according to most people you ask) but it is more expensive. That's why most companies stick to bellmouths.

Regarding emissions- the Vishnu system, like any other system, does not appear smog legal because it's clearly not factory. It does however meet the actual emissions content requirements in all 50 states. Being turbocharged is certainly not a factor in favor of this however.

The quote you supplied about the Scooby Sport is from one of their vendors, not the manufacturer themselves.

Anyway, in the case of pointing out the build quality of Scooby Sport relative to most other systems, I agree. I was not defending any particular system over another, merely pointing out the error in an opinion about what makes one exhaust perform better than another when it comes to power. Please don't take it personal. When I see information on these forums that I believe to be false, misleading, or simply mistaken, it is my place to correct it to the best of my ability.
Old 10-13-2003, 10:00 PM

Car Info: '03 PSM Sedan
bump, more pics on the way.
Old 10-14-2003, 02:22 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
okay, here are some pics of dropkick_muppets downpipe. i'm also going to start another thread to try to figure out whether it was made by H&S or JanSpeed.

Go here if you would like to see larger and higher quality images.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:34 PM
@Stoptech

Car Info: 2002 WRX Wagon
check out this thread as well if you're interested in seeing whether this is an H&S exhaust or a JanSpeed.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:47 PM

looks like the vote is 9-0 in favor of H&S, which is precisely what i thought. i should be installing it next week, so we'll see how it does in the power department.
Old 10-17-2003, 08:39 AM

I do not mean to be critical of someone's personal preference on what downpipe they purchased, but I would have to say that the ScoobySport dp is not a good bang for the buck. The price is high, especially for a pipe that retains the 3rd cat. If retaining the 3rd cat was the sole reason for the puchase, a better choice would have been the Bosal dp. It uses a divorced wastgate design, which seems to be the prefered design, bolts up to the 3rd cat pipe, includes all the gasgets, is well made and can be puchased for around $200.00. If money isn't the issue, than a 3" dp that removes both cats and includes a high flow unit (Turbo XS, Vishnu, Perrin) would be perferable, I would think.
Old 10-17-2003, 10:16 AM

hey, no offense taken. the reasons that i went with the scoobysport are as follows:

1) design -- i wanted a bellmouth pipe that would retain the 3rd cat, and bolt up to the stock exhaust system. i was under the impression that the bellmouth design was the most effective.

2) i didn't want to shell out $1000+ for a full turbo back. money was an object, but the differance between the $380 i spent, and the cost of something like the Vishnu pipe wasn't an issue.

3) power -- like i mentioned before, i was under the impression that the bellmouth pipes made the best power, particularly in the low and mid range.