Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Reluctantly asking for EGT probe install help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2003, 10:43 PM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Reluctantly asking for EGT probe install help.

Yeah so I've searched and I've found "Before you do this you need to take the manifold off." or "You can take the maifold off if you want, I drilled mine with the car running" or "It was easy." So I really have used the search, I even tried to extract the instructions for the manifold removal from an upipe install thread. Anyway I'm about to crawl under the car to yank the manifold off to drill and tap it for my EGT gauge probe and I would like to have an idea of what I am doing/looking for before I get the car up on the stands so I am asking for help in the form of instructions/description of some sort on what I have to do and what part of the manifold I have to yank off/drill. Thank you very much to whoever takes the time to answer me. I realize this is not a complicated thing but I would like some direction before I go at it and I can't seem to find instructions for this anywhere that are decent. If you know where they are link me to them, they were hiding well! Thanks in advance to whoever has pity and writes up some instructions!!!
Old 12-26-2003, 12:47 AM
Chewwwwy

Car Info: Random, yet well planed selection of jdm cult cars
basically you need to remove only one side of the manifold. depending on which cylander you are going to tap. with the heatsheilds on this is a bit tricky, but can be done. just pull the heatshields off by removing almost evey bolt you can see down there. some parts will not come off without removing the manifold. so its kindof a quagmire. after you can get to the bolts, if tapping cylander# 3 (uppipe side) remove the 3 bolts that hold cast piece to head, 2 bolts that join to up-pipe, and 2 bolts to crossover pipe. when re-installing, make sure to leave all the bolts loose and torque them evenly. you can leave the crossover bolts till last due to the large flex in that pipe. make sure you get a good seal between the up-pipe, and cast part of the manifold. it dosent hurt to change the gasket either. make sure when you drill/tap you remove all of the shavings. what you dont remove will just end up going thru your turbo. (not good)

good luck.
Old 12-26-2003, 12:51 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
its not as hard as it sounds.. just unbolt the sections like IB said and it will be simple.

I would also recomend being carefull taking off the lower bolts to the up-pipe. If your too rough with it, you might break the upper gasket by jerking the up-pipe around.

its not common, but I have seen it happen, so just watch for it
Old 12-26-2003, 10:54 AM

Car Info: 2002 White WRX Wagon (WWW)
Thanks guys, hopefully that will point me in the right direction. I have a feeling when I get up underneath the car it will be pretty clear. Oh do you know how tight you're supposed to crank down those bolts? I need to get my hands on a torque wrench... Thanks for the help though!
Old 12-26-2003, 11:00 AM
BanHammer™

Car Info: 2001 Forester RS2 SPEC-F
tight enough so they dont back out :P

usualy we dont use a torque wrench, just get them really snug, then another 1/4 turn to make sure.