Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

recommendation for an eco-friendly mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2004, 06:14 PM

Car Info: 2003 WRX
recommendation for an eco-friendly mod

So I'm actually a greenie...

no wait...don't kill me! please hear me out. and to preface this...I have nothing against people who go catless...hey whatever floats your boat. i ain't one of those tree-hugging violent vegan hippies who force feed their ideas onto others...

anyhow, i'd like to get a little more low-end pop out of my wrx wagon. i already feel bad enough that I chose the wrx over a prius, but driving it makes me forget about the emissions i'm spewing. which mod would minimize the additional emissions output and will net me a little extra oomph on the low end?

accessport,
uppipe,
new catback?

tia
Old 05-04-2004, 07:30 PM

Car Info: 2001 Impreza 2.5RS(Ti)
I know where you're coming from. The mods you listed shouldn't increase your emissions much at all. I have had the accessport for one tank of gas running stage one and my real mileage was 18 driving pretty hard. The up pipe cat is metallic substrate and from what I've read is only useful during warm-up. So don't sweat it too much. You'll probably get even better mileage with those mods.
Old 05-04-2004, 08:07 PM

Car Info: 1973 Huevo Ranchero
i am not a tree hugger like you j/k
i would suggest the accessport.
if u are planning to stay loyal to subaru might i suggest
the B9SC.

"The SSHEV system teams a powerful electric motor with a 2.0-liter DOHC Subaru Boxer 4-cylinder gas engine. At low and midrange speeds, the gasoline engine is used primarily to charge the advanced laminated lithium-ion batteries. At speeds over 50 mph, B9SC runs only on its gasoline engine. Thus, the internal combustion engine always runs in its most efficient speed range. To provide extra performance on hills and when the driver demands quicker acceleration, the SSHEV system seamlessly combines output from both the electric motor and gas engine through a special two-way clutch..."
Attached Thumbnails recommendation for an eco-friendly mod-008__scaled_600.jpg  
Old 05-05-2004, 08:04 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2005 CGM WRX Wagon
A cat-back won't affect emmissions at all because it doesn't replace any cats. I'm sure you figured that out already, but I thought I'd point it out.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:21 AM

But will a catback do very much for me?
Old 05-05-2004, 08:43 AM
VIP Member

Originally Posted by stevenkhau
But will a catback do very much for me?
Not a whole lot, but you will gain ~roughly~ 10hp.
Old 05-05-2004, 08:45 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2002 Honda S2000
HKS Catback has been known to make some pretty good gains.....up to an extra 13-15 whp.
Old 05-05-2004, 02:40 PM

Aside from the cat in the uppipe I'd rather not get rid of any of the other cats. but it sounds like I should be okay with just the uppipe, exhaust, and accessport.
Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 AM
VIP Member

Yup. Uppipe, cat-back, and Accessport stage 1. You'll like that combo.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:11 AM

Car Info: 02 WRX wagon=dead; rollin' in a Craptastic Camry!
The pre-cat in the up-pipe is there for cold start up. If you plan your driving/errands such that cold start ups are minimized, the net emissions from your vehicle should be very close to stock. I do not know enough about engine management to say how it effects emissions, but I've got to believe the reason you can gain hp AND gas mileage is that the aftermarket engine management will not run the engine as rich as the stock ECU does. This would explain the improved mileage. Following this logic (car is running leaner) EGT's would be higher which tends to produce more NOx. Again, I am not an expert!

I think you and I are similar. I, like you, consider myself to be a "reasonable environmentalist". You can probably rationalize some reasonable power mods.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:22 PM

Talking

just go catless like everyone else and plant some trees to make it up to Mother Nature.

Quick Reply: recommendation for an eco-friendly mod