Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

A real tech Question! Power Surges.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 PM

Car Info: 2002 Sooby WRX (not runing right)
what does a "tune" include... I replaced the spark plugs 10k miles ago with OE plugs, I replaced the PCV Valve, air filter, etc... what would they do? I like to do my own work this side of tearing the engine down. I dont trust any Subaru dealerships, every time I had a problem under warranty in the past its always "you modified the car and changed it back before you brought it to us, your warranty is void" when i did nothing. so I dont trust these idiots in San Diego worth crap. (with a diffrent car) I know this car was modified before I had it.
Old 03-16-2006, 03:13 PM

Subaru lists a tune up as oil filter, fuel filter, spark plugs. I did much much more, I even changed all my gear, and diff oil to synthetic. I replaced everything but my MAF sensor, but that things expensive so I dont go throwing MAF sensors around like nothing. maybe I need an O2 sensor too? another thing about my car... I get 250 miles per tank if I drive REALLY nice. meaning shift at 2500 rpm every shift and 3k on hills... and not spooling the turbo up. so I have really bad gas mileage which im guessing is a part of this problem.

another thing... under hard acceleration in first there is alot of vibration in the chassis.

Last edited by aloose; 03-16-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-16-2006, 10:55 PM

Car Info: 02 WRX Wagon, stock FOR NOW
I'm getting kinda the same problem. This is my 2nd wrx wgn and boost is shutting off and coming back on @ WOT. This is most noticable above 3k in 3-5th but I felt it in 2nd a couple times.
Dealer hasen't figured it out (hate takin it there but I do have a limited certified used warranty).
So I'm swappin bypass valves with a buddy this weekend. Hoping this is it otherwise its a sensor thats tellin the ECU to open the wastegate AHHHH!!

If you guys have any ideas let me know.

I've only had it for 3000mi and haven't made my first payment. I thougtht CPO cars were are good as new (damn it). I really miss the beautiful steady boost my other car made before my ex took it and totalled it on ice :-(
Old 03-17-2006, 12:07 PM

btw everything is stock on this one (at least until the warranty is up)
Old 03-17-2006, 12:32 PM

my car is completely stock as well... Thats one thing we have in common, maybe something is failing over time. oh yea and another reason I dont trust my dealerships here, I took it to the better for the 2 awhile ago when I got this car, and they said they needed to tear down the transmission to see whats going on in there? why the hell would the trans have anything to do with my engine power?they also threw in there that it would cost 1500 dollars to take my trans apart, sounds like a con job to me... so im on my own with this sooby.

Last edited by aloose; 03-17-2006 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-17-2006, 02:42 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
maybe try grounding it better
Old 03-18-2006, 08:36 AM

grounding? come on, this is a car I dont have any interest in modifing, Its not worth it, Id rather just wait till I get another STI, which im geting in the next few months. This is my between jobs car :P I just want the god damned thing to have the power it is suposed to have STOCK I dont want to modify ****. I just want it to be NORMAL i dont want to spend hundreds on modifications to make the car have "stock" horsepower. It is my mile mule. I care less. I just want good gas mileage and the power it is suposed to get. and dont give me the crap that you shouldnt buy a wrx if you want gas mileage, because no ****. I atleast want more than 17mpg. and before saying its the way I drive read my previous notes...
Old 03-19-2006, 01:22 PM

thats where i am aloose. Its my family hauler so I want it dependable but the boost dropping off is really upsetting. I am now getting more people involved because the part will probably not be covered under the CPO warranty, plus I'm now authorizing the dealer another 2 hour of DIAG ($150 ouch). I'm getting pretty good mileage and every once in a while I'll get one gear shift worth of clean, surge free boost, but I thought a CPO car would be close to perfect. I'm thinking its probably a sensor but a vacuum leak wouldn't be out of the question.
I'll let you guys know what I find out after my appointment Tues. Hope to God they find the problem, otherwise I'm going to take a day off and take it to a bigger dealer in Portland, or.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:26 PM

Sigma that is a good suggestion about grounding it out better. I' think i'll check the stock ground points first. Maybe one close to say the EGT sensor is bad and the sensor is sending wacked out signals to the ECU. That would probably send the ECU into a fit and make it shut the boost down all the time. ITs weird though because as soon as it makes full boost it shuts down and then comes back on; over and over again, even at low rpm.
Old 03-19-2006, 10:38 PM

well today I replaced my air filter with a K&N and my problem is gone, my power is back... I guess im just an idiot for using a non subaru air filter in my car... Im guessing it was just starving for air... and the pinging noise was probibly detonation from lack of air... heh nice huh im officialy a "noob" *sigh* and all my experiance in the auto industry but I cant even diagnose my own damn car... I feel so stupid.
Old 03-20-2006, 07:27 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
sounds like a vacuum leak.

Mine was at the intercooler because the threads in my intercooler were partially stripped and the bolts were too short to hold the BPV on.
Old 03-20-2006, 12:09 PM

So you were experiencing similar issues?? I was thinking it might be the BPV but also considering the possibility that it could be something actually telling the ECM to open the wastegate.