Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

radioator fan not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 09:34 PM

Unhappy radiator fan not working

First off, for some reason, the guy I bought my Subaru from had it set up so that you could manually turn on/off the main radiator fan.
This has been a little bit of a PITA because imp just now used to turning it on when im stopped (took it overheating 3 times to figure it out....doh!).

I was at the 1/8 mile drag strip today...7th or 8th go, I park it because the temp is getting up there. Check back a few mins later and it hasn’t gone down.
Check the engine, and the fan isn’t working. The light that says the fan is on though.
I looked at the wire that leads from the fan up into the car and I didn’t notice anything that looked wrong. What I did notice were 4 wires that lead to a little box about the size of matchbox car, and about 2 inches up, the plastic around the wire is burnt, and one of the wires is severed. The thing is, it doesn’t look like the fan is connected to those wires at all. But common sense is saying, "Yes, they are."

I don’t want to take it to the dealer, because I already have a situation where the proshop that mod'd his (my) Subaru, did something to the air conditioning. They said it would take about 2 hours just to find where the wires from the AC lead to....or something like that.

It is a 2002 Impreza WRX, with a PWR radiator.

Any suggestions? Im not a mechanic, but I do not want to have to take it to the dealer every time something goes wrong. Being a performance car, i expect things to go wrong more than the usual car.

Last edited by SabubaruB; 08-17-2005 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:26 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
you need to find a friend nearby that is good with tracing wiring and figuring out electrical circuits.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:25 AM

Car Info: My 2009 FIT for sale!!!!!!!!!!
is there wires on the other end of the severed wire? the four wires are where in the engine compartment? is next to the radiator fan or near there? is there a switch to operate the fan manually? <check what kind of wires are in the back of the switch. then see if there is a same type of wire near that severed wire, it may have been severed from the electric fans. if you can, can you take some pics of it. thanks.