Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Quieter exhaust setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2006, 02:36 PM

Car Info: 2012 Honda Civic Si
Quieter exhaust setup

I know that this topic has probably been beaten to death, but I feel like I need to post after my searches have come inconclusive.

Right now, I am running an RS*R GT2 with no cats. I have an ERZ catless downpipe as well. I want to get something WAY quieter and have been looking at Greddy's SP2 as well as the Borla Hush. Does anyone have any opinions and feedback on these two? Is there anything else I can look at? I will replace the downpipe in the long run with perhaps a catted Helix, but right now my interest is to get rid of the large exhaust due to no longer really wanting the attention.

Thanks in advanced :banana:
Old 02-26-2006, 03:46 AM

Car Info: 2004 wrx
TurboXS StealthBack + Prodrive
Old 02-26-2006, 09:30 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002
The Borla Hush is indeed much quieter, but you will definitely notice a power loss as it is restrictive. The biggest difference you could make in your exhaust sound would be to add a hi-flow cat (Random Technologies makes a great one); this takes off the "harsh" sound and makes the exhaust much more mellow.

The RSRGT2 is supposedly one of the loudest exhausts out there, so almost anything would be an improvement. Get the Borla Hush and the resonator for it, and put a cat in your downpipe and you'll be much, much quieter (and no fireballs).

If you still want the power, you might consider some of the nicer turbobacks. I've got an APS 3" turboback with a high-flow cat and it has passed both the wife and mother-in-law loudness tests (they have never mentioned that my car is too loud, or even louder than it was before it was modified). Then again, I keep it under 3000RPM when I give them a ride
Old 02-26-2006, 10:03 PM

Car Info: '05 Impreza Outback Sport ~ "WTF! Two-Toned?"
Cool

Originally Posted by meilers
The Borla Hush is indeed much quieter, but you will definitely notice a power loss as it is restrictive. The biggest difference you could make in your exhaust sound would be to add a hi-flow cat (Random Technologies makes a great one); this takes off the "harsh" sound and makes the exhaust much more mellow.

The RSRGT2 is supposedly one of the loudest exhausts out there, so almost anything would be an improvement. Get the Borla Hush and the resonator for it, and put a cat in your downpipe and you'll be much, much quieter (and no fireballs).

If you still want the power, you might consider some of the nicer turbobacks. I've got an APS 3" turboback with a high-flow cat and it has passed both the wife and mother-in-law loudness tests (they have never mentioned that my car is too loud, or even louder than it was before it was modified). Then again, I keep it under 3000RPM when I give them a ride
3K RPMs? That's cheating, dude! OK, so I unplug my speedo when my relatives ride with me. What they don't know can't hurt them. Evryone is soooo much more relaxed!