Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Prodrive vs. Stromung

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 09:17 PM

Car Info: 2005 Obsidian Black WRX Wagon
Prodrive Vs. Stromung

Hello everybody, I'm pretty new here but i float around many of the Suby forums and I've been doing alot of research on my first exhaust and basically right now it's between a Prodrive round tip axle back and the Stromung catback, mostly for their tones. However, I'm still considering a few others(If I can get the money!) such as the Blitz Nur Touring (Nur Spec is amazing, but a bit too loud for me), SPT, Borla(not Hush) and possibly the Perrin. Hah sorry for naming so many I'm just in such a dilemma over this, I can't wait for an exhaust!
Anyway, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated! I also have one more question(sorry!) does the Prodrive center pipe eliminate the 3rd cat, same thing with the Stromung intermediate pipe? Thanks so much again guys!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:52 PM

Car Info: MY00RS25
The prodrive has a great sound, but not loud and is a high quality exhaust but it's only a 2.5" and is expensive. I personally haven't had any experience w/ the stromung but I know people w/ it. It's considerably louder.

A midpipe does not eliminate the cat. A midpipe and exhaust can is a cat back system. What you want is a Turbo back exhaust(TBE). I'm personally looking at getting the APS or Cobb but I'm leaning towards the cobb w/ a high flow cat because it's a little cheaper.
Old 04-26-2006, 10:08 PM

Thanks so much for the reply! Yeah, I'd love a turboXS tbe however the service department at the dealership where i lease my car is pretty strict, so i can basically only stick to a cat-back. I'm still wondering about the center/intermediate pipe though. .Isn't the midpipe before the 3rd cat though? Check out the WRX engine diagram at the bottom of the page here:
http://members.chello.nl/~r.herweyer/
Shoot i'm guessing the Stromung intermediate pipe is a midpipe, right? Sorry about that, i guess both do elmiate the 3rd cat. Anyway, thanks again for the help!
Old 04-26-2006, 11:40 PM
9 to 5 mod

Car Info: 03 Impreza WRX
w00 h00 where in LB are you

prodrive its quieter
Old 04-26-2006, 11:40 PM

belmont heights baby. straight up ghetttto
Old 04-27-2006, 01:09 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: rx8
i have the prodrive oval. very quiet, when you're cruising you can barely hear it, but once you get on it it's a different story . the tone is not harsh at all. it is just the axle back though, 2.5". i have the stock mid pipe connected to a stromung downpipe.

the stromung exhaust has more a "flat" sound to it and IMO is a bit louder.

if you want more of the growl go with a N1 canister type like HKS

edit just noticed youre in socal, come out to the thurs life plaza meets and you can hear these all in person
Old 04-27-2006, 01:06 PM

Car Info: 04 STi
Originally Posted by caray
Thanks so much for the reply! Yeah, I'd love a turboXS tbe however the service department at the dealership where i lease my car is pretty strict, so i can basically only stick to a cat-back. I'm still wondering about the center/intermediate pipe though. .Isn't the midpipe before the 3rd cat though?
No, both of the post turbo cats are in the downipe. Whats in the midpipe is a resonator to keep the sound down.

Honestly, if you can only have the sound (becasause of the dealership) just buy a used prodrive axleback for ~$250. Catbacks are expensive and dont really do squat for performance beacuse the oem cats are still there restricting air flow.

If I were you, I would just go with a turboback...F*** the dealership! TXS FTW!