Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Is this place trying to take me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2004, 10:37 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Is this place trying to take me?

I am a proud owner of a 2002 WRX and my warranty is about up so it's time for me to start getting some performance parts installing into it. I went to a reputable place in my area, Speedsport Technik in Norwalk, CT. They recommended the first thing I get done to be a turboback exhaust, which I wouldn't disagree with. The only thing I need some help with is the fact that the owner recommended an Autospeed Performance full turboback system with a high flow cat, which I can't find any reviews on anywhere. I went to the company's website: http://www.autospeedperformance.com and looked it up and it had a nice clip of what the exhaust sounds like on a WRX but have any of you guys heard of or have any experience with this exhaust system?
Old 07-03-2004, 03:42 PM

Car Info: was 05 WRX Wagon
In one word, YES. Look into Helix up/downpipes and other exhausts like the Greddy Evo or Borla Hush. The whole package will cost much less than what the local place is asking for.

-Soren
Old 07-03-2004, 07:50 PM
ish

Car Info: 2009 wrx & 2000 4runner
Originally Posted by redrex
In one word, YES. Look into Helix up/downpipes and other exhausts like the Greddy Evo or Borla Hush. The whole package will cost much less than what the local place is asking for.

-Soren
yeah i agree and hit up www.mpjperformance.com for the parts.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:36 AM

Car Info: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
Okay, so theres a pretty strong recommendation for a Helix downpipe, in which I already highly considered. I'll most definitely go with that in a combination with either of those two mufflers, the borla or the greddy...should this be fitted with a high flow cat or no? I don't really care much about emissions but the guy at the shop said catless WRXs have a very bad smell to them, much like rotten eggs. Anyone know about this? Also does anyone have any figures on how much HP or torque this combo would add to a bone stock WRX and if there are any links on the net of videos or audio of how any of these systems sound, especially with the helix downpipe. Thanks again guys.
Old 07-04-2004, 11:52 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX Sedan - Silver
I've had my catless TurboXS TBE on for a couple thousand miles now. The only smell I can think of is if I've used Xylene in my gas, I can kind of smell it upon startup. I've never smelt ANYTHING like what your shop is talking about. Go catless!!!!
Old 07-04-2004, 11:53 AM

Car Info: 04 STi/67 rotary 311/C20/DT Barracuda
some more info here

Looks like the thread on Nasioc has some info...

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show...d&pagenumber=1

Areg
Old 07-04-2004, 08:51 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: MMVI AW WRX STI
Catless cars stink. Catless WRX's stink. Anyone who says otherwise has an underdeveloped schnozzer.
Old 07-05-2004, 12:41 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Corvette Z51
You know the smell that your WRX makes from its tail in the mornings when the engine's cold? Imagine that smell gushing out all day from the exhaust, wherever you go in your car. That's what a catless WRX smells like. Plus, it spews out more smoke and hot gasses than before and may get carbon deposits all over your car's back end

I agree with the guys' recommendations for Helix dp. For the catback, if you don't mind the noise, you can also consider HKS Hi-Power or Blitz Nur-Spec as well.