Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Piston Slap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2004, 06:24 AM

Car Info: 04 WRX, Silver
Piston Slap?

I know, this has been asked a bazillion times. I have an 04 rex, and I have not ran the crap out of it. When I bought the car, new, and when the engine was cold there was no noise in the engine when warming up. As the mileage increased, and the temps dropped, a knock was audible at about 1500 rpm until the engine warmed up. THIS IS JUST like all the threads I found that said this is normal.

OK, the car now has a little over 8K on it. Now when even it is warm outside, 80s, the engine will "knock" until fully heated up. This is different than when I first bought the car. Again I guess this is normal? But it seems to me, that over time this has become more and more as the mileage increases on the car.

What I would like to know:

1. Is this the same symptom(s) a lot of you are experiencing and has it increased with mileage?

2. Is it OK to reflash with Stg 1, 91 and if you have reflashed did the condition become worse?

3. Would it have to knock all the time before SOA will fix it?

The only mods so far, Prodrive axle back, Rota SDRs. Waiting on COBB ACCESSport.

Before I go to the dealer, I would just like to have some input from other members with similar symptoms. I found the threads that say it is normal, but I can hear this from INSIDE the cab when the engine is cold.
Old 04-24-2004, 03:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: CRZ EX-Navi/6MT & Vue Redline
I have the same problem, and it has gotten worse as the mileage has increased. I have an apointment on tues. to take my car in to a good dealer in my area. I will try and post here when I hear from the dealer after I take it in.

-Chris
Old 04-26-2004, 02:37 AM

Car Info: Mazda Protege '02 (Wishing protege has AWD and a H6 twin turbo)
the 04 wrx does have a knock sensor and the car should adapt to the thing but i would personally have the car reflashed to make sure you don't get any detonation in the chamber which would cause serious damage.

A likely cause of the cold engine knock is the added fuel it dumps into the engine when its warming up. Still.. it shouldn't knock.