Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Parallel Fuel Rail

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2004, 09:59 PM

Car Info: 1991 Toyota MR-2 Turbo
Parallel Fuel Rail

I'll be documenting my parallel fuel rail setup in this forum. Right now I have a set of stock WRX rails. The plan is to feed both rails from the front and then out the back to a dual entry fuel pressure regulator (either FX or AEM) and then back to the fuel return. Mounting of the FPR and routing of the fuel lines are the main problems right now. I'll be posting up pictures soon.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:37 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: $200,000 sports car
one of the rails has the regulator on it, the other one doesn't. try getting another rail without the regulator, that should make it easier to make a parallel setup.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:19 AM

Car Info: 1993/2000/2001 GF4 mostly red
This is actually a better forum for this writeup. I look forward to seeing it though. Be sure to post many pics!
Old 08-11-2004, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by RussB
one of the rails has the regulator on it, the other one doesn't. try getting another rail without the regulator, that should make it easier to make a parallel setup.

I'm planning on keeping the green bracket on the passenger side so the fitting into the rail on that side will be where the current FPR sits.

Because the fuel pressure regulator is where the big pressure differential is, my thinking is that the lines FROM the rail to the FPR should be as close to equal as possible while the lines TO the rail do not have to be as even.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
This is actually a better forum for this writeup. I look forward to seeing it though. Be sure to post many pics!
I was wondering what happened to this post .

I don't understand why this should be in the engine management forum. This is a little project that I'm doing to create more balanced fuel delivery to the motor. How does engine management figure in?
Old 08-11-2004, 01:07 PM

Because fuel management IS engine management...

I agree this could easily go into the EJ20 forum, but it applies to almost all turbo Subarus, and proper fuel delivery is vital. So I put it here.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by BAN SUVS
Because fuel management IS engine management...

I agree this could easily go into the EJ20 forum, but it applies to almost all turbo Subarus, and proper fuel delivery is vital. So I put it here.
Okay but I'm not gonna do anything w/ the system that affects engine management. This mod will be invisible to the ECU, it's just plumbing. Besides, I wanted to get the VIP status that was offered for posting projects up in the other forum .

BTW I have pics of the stock rail in my Gallery for anyone who'd like to take a look. When the actual fabrication begins I'll post those pics up here.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:05 PM

The Ongoing Projects forum is for documenting your project car not individual mods. Individual cleverness like DIY parallel fuel rails belongs in the tech forums, that's all.

At your insistence, I will send this thread over to EJ20 forum. Here we gooo.... WEEEEE!
Old 08-14-2004, 12:41 PM
iClub Silver Vendor

Car Info: A Laptop
I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing. I have my dual entry Aeromotive FPR sitting on my desk and an extra set of stock rails under my bed

Let me know if you find a good place to mount the FPR.

Thanks
-- Ed
Old 08-15-2004, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by vaus
I'm actually in the process of doing the same thing. I have my dual entry Aeromotive FPR sitting on my desk and an extra set of stock rails under my bed

Let me know if you find a good place to mount the FPR.

Thanks
-- Ed
LOL, That is my biggest problem right now. I have a FMIC on order so when that gets here (this week I hope) I'll have some room.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:03 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 02 PSM WRX
Do you guys have egt gauges and if so where are the probes located and what mods do you have? It would interesting to see if this mod helps with high egt's on certain cylinders.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by MO REX
Do you guys have egt gauges and if so where are the probes located and what mods do you have? It would interesting to see if this mod helps with high egt's on certain cylinders.
I don't have mine installed yet.

I do know that someone on Nabisco did this mod and used the stock FPR and reported a ~7psi increase in fuel pressure. This leads me to believe that there is a significant difference in fuel from one cylinder to another.

On a side note. Turbo MR-2's are notorious for blowing the #3 piston. Various theories were thrown around from fuel rail design, to intake manifold design to coolant flow thru the head. No one could prove or disprove any one factor. I chose to address all three by modifiying my fuel rail to dual entry, extrude honeing the intake manifold and having the coolant passages in the head opened up. That car has almost 100,000 miles on it today and runs a TD06L2 turbo at about 18 psi (edit: i no longer own that car but we keep in touch)
Old 08-19-2004, 08:36 AM

I modified the stock rails to the dual rail setup exactly as you are talking about. I brazed over the stock fpr, and brazed #6 AN fittings onto both rails, front and rear. Then used an aeromotive reg, aeroquip lines, etc. I ran a #6 line off the feed line(driverside firewall)and ran that into an NOS y-block and parallel fed both rails, and ran both returns from the rails into the reg which I mounted off the backside of the intake. and a #6 return back to the return hard line(firewall)
Works fine although is a little louder.
Here are some crappy pics, I will post more in a few days once I get back over to the garage and finish assembling the new motor. http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4286403719
-Adam
Old 08-19-2004, 11:41 PM

Adam, thanks for the info and pics. The stock FPR opening seemed to large to braze over so I was going to go into the rail thru that hole and out the end on the passenger side rail w/ the AN fittings and then in and out the ends on the driver side one. Could you get some pictures of where you mounted the Y-block and the FPR. TIA.

edit: did you get steel AN fitting to braze to the rail or Al?

Last edited by Mister 2; 08-19-2004 at 11:52 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 11:50 AM

Car Info: LGT STI
right now I have the Vishnu fuel rails, however for the time being the setup isnt Te'ed. The line in goes into the left rail, then to the right rail, then FPR, then back to tank. When my STI block and heads go in Im going to change over to a Te'ed hard line setup. Where the line in goes to a Tee mounted in on top of the middle of the intake manifold, then to hard lines of equal length to the rails, then out through hard lines, back to another Tee where the FPR is, and back to tank. I also have direct nitirous injectors on top of the manifold so those hard lines will parallel the fuel lines and ALL the Tees will be in the same spot to insure equal distribution and good astetics.