Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

!!! OK Best all around TURBO!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 03:47 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: black my03 5mt wrx s/w
Originally Posted by meilers
That is an incredible turbo, if you can afford it. Make certain you are going with at least 550cc or greater injectors and a FMIC, anything less will be wasting your investment. I've driven an 03 WRX with the SR40 and it was a streetable 380whp on 91 octane. No, that wasn't a typo!
so meilers, was this the same car that got only 310whp on 91 octane?

https://www.i-club.com/forums/showpo...95&postcount=8

or have you actually driven TWO 03 wrxs that BOTH had sr40s and front mounts?

(for the record, i call bs on 380whp/sr40/fmic/91 octane.)
Old 09-06-2006, 02:43 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2003 Subaru WRX Aspen White
Originally Posted by vvafivv
well im going with the APS sr30 on a 02 wrx...what do you guys think about that?
the SR30 does about the same as all the VF series turbos(VF22/34/30/39), I'm not impressed with ANY of the APS turbos...most under perform for their hp rating & expensive price tag, considering there are turbos priced much less that will dominate it.
Old 09-06-2006, 09:51 AM

Car Info: WRX STi
Originally Posted by ride5000

HaHa I can smell some BS. 380whp on a 2.0litre with pumpgas?????
Old 09-06-2006, 10:10 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: Subaru Impreza WRX 2002

No, it was two different cars; I'm friends with the shop owner and he ONLY installs APS or PE turbos, if he can help it, so a lot of APS-based vehicles come out of his shop, along with twin-turbo Corvettes (APS), 400whp EVOs (APS) and a lot of other very, very sick cars.

The first of the two was just bolt-ons, FMIC, SR40, fuel injectors, pump, intake and tune. The second of the two was a built motor stroked to 2.2l with a redline of 7800RPM, with a ton of supporting mods including a R/A gearset, modified intake manifold and about every mod you can do to the 2.0l block and still call it a Subaru. You'd be unwise to call BS on something you haven't seen or driven, but hey, that's never stopped you before. After all, you're the one who advised driving the stock TDO4 to 20psi -- something even the mighty Imprezer couldn't agree with. Sure, anyone who would advise someone to push the stock turbo 5 psi past its peak efficency must be a veritable FOUNTAIN of wisdom...

Here are some details of the APS SR40 and similar turbos. 380 to the wheels is attainable with the appropriate supporting mods and steps to minimize driveline loss.

http://mastrowrx.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=18
Old 09-06-2006, 10:18 AM
VIP Member

You'd be unwise to call BS on something you haven't seen or driven, but hey, that's never stopped you before. After all, you're the one who advised driving the stock TDO4 to 20psi -- something even the mighty Imprezer couldn't agree with. Sure, anyone who would advise someone to push the stock turbo 5 psi past its peak efficency must be a veritable FOUNTAIN of wisdom...
hey man, don't get upset if you can't read a compressor map.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:19 PM
VIP Member

hey man, don't get upset if you can't read a compressor map.
I keep trying to have some faith that we'll learn something here, but you keep coming up short. A compressor map is *theory* -- it isn't literal. Compare the compressor map of that TD04 when it is attached to a big diesel, an Eclipse inline six or a Dodge Stealth and you'll see that it changes radically with the engine displacement, a/f ratio and many other variables such as exhaust diameter (not to mention altitude and octane).

I've mentioned the idea of running the stock turbo at 20+ psi to several quite knowledgeable people, in and outside the forums, and I get the universal result of outright laughter. Rich Garcia of Dynyo-Comp has built 2006 STIs that are 530 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno with 93 octane; he's built cover cars for a few mags and recently build a 440-to-the-wheels twin turbo, twin-intercooled Corvette CZ06 that purrs like a kitten and gets 22mpg. The absolute maximum he will bost the TD04 under any conditions is 16.5psi, and even then only with an upgraded intercooler. He thought the idea of running a TD04 to 20psi was nothing short of suicidal.

You'll forgive me if I take his word over yours.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:32 AM
VIP Member

I keep trying to have some faith that we'll learn something here, but you keep coming up short. A compressor map is *theory* -- it isn't literal. Compare the compressor map of that TD04 when it is attached to a big diesel, an Eclipse inline six or a Dodge Stealth and you'll see that it changes radically with the engine displacement, a/f ratio and many other variables such as exhaust diameter (not to mention altitude and octane).
the problem is you have no clue what a compressor map represents.

the compressor map is INDEPENDENT OF APPLICATION. it is a function of the compressor of the turbo, and NOTHING ELSE.

LOAD LINES get drawn across a compressor map. these load lines are a function of the engine that the compressor is pumping air into.

the fact that you think a compressor map depends on octane, displacement, afr, altitude, or exhaust diameter belies your complete ignorance.

here's some more rope, meilers... now run with it!

I've mentioned the idea of running the stock turbo at 20+ psi to several quite knowledgeable people, in and outside the forums, and I get the universal result of outright laughter. Rich Garcia of Dynyo-Comp has built 2006 STIs that are 530 to the wheels on a Mustang dyno with 93 octane; he's built cover cars for a few mags and recently build a 440-to-the-wheels twin turbo, twin-intercooled Corvette CZ06 that purrs like a kitten and gets 22mpg. The absolute maximum he will bost the TD04 under any conditions is 16.5psi, and even then only with an upgraded intercooler. He thought the idea of running a TD04 to 20psi was nothing short of suicidal.
maybe if you pulled your big, bloated head out of everyone else's ***, you'd actually acquire some knowledge of your own.

You'll forgive me if I take his word over yours.
words don't mean much when the fastest cars prove otherwise.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:37 AM
VIP Member

for anyone interested in actually learning something about the td04/13g oem wrx turbo, its compressor map, the significance of the compressor map, pros and cons of running high boost, etc, there are some good threads on nabisco here:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988825
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=684304
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=733253
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667306

meilers, don't bother reading them--it would shake your house of cards down to the ground.

Last edited by ride5000; 09-07-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:15 AM

Car Info: 02wrx apex boost up down pipe ect
Originally Posted by testes1010
the SR30 does about the same as all the VF series turbos(VF22/34/30/39), I'm not impressed with ANY of the APS turbos...most under perform for their hp rating & expensive price tag, considering there are turbos priced much less that will dominate it.
IDK... from what i heard APS sr 30 pushes more air than the VF series turbos... and plus now a days you see every one with the VF set up i wanna try something diff...+1 SR 30
Old 09-07-2006, 11:49 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2008 EVO X/1991 Nissan Skyline GT-R32
I have an idea to prove the 380whp on your set up. post the dyno sheet. Until then, most people will not believe you. I dont know enough about the turbo to know if your telling the truth or not, but that will make it 100% that you are telling it how it is.
Old 09-10-2006, 11:15 PM
VIP Member

the compressor map is INDEPENDENT OF APPLICATION. it is a function of the compressor of the turbo, and NOTHING ELSE.
You've just confirmed exactly what I said. The compressor map is theoretical. I've never seen one WITHOUT the load lines drawn on it; what would be the point? If the load lines change, the diagram has changed, so you're just ducking the issue. The load lines DO change with engine displacement, fuel octane and the pressure of the incoming air (ask any turbo car owner in Denver!) and aren't a rock-solid predictor of how a turbo will perform in any particular application.

If you want to keep believing that you can drive the TD04 past 20PSI and that is somehow making more power than 16.5 PSI and supporting mods and not putting the engine in danger, so be it. I've got an easy solution for the discussion -- scrape up some cash and fly to Phoenix. I'll meet you at the airport personally and we'll go have lunch with Rich. He'll be happy to take you for a ride in his 530whp STI, 400whp VW R32, 440whp Corvette and perhaps even his RHD Skyline GT-R; those are just the shop cars. We can have a nice big talk about this, and I'll make him promise in advance not to laugh out loud. We've
Old 09-11-2006, 05:46 AM
VIP Member

You've just confirmed exactly what I said. The compressor map is theoretical. I've never seen one WITHOUT the load lines drawn on it; what would be the point? If the load lines change, the diagram has changed, so you're just ducking the issue. The load lines DO change with engine displacement, fuel octane and the pressure of the incoming air (ask any turbo car owner in Denver!) and aren't a rock-solid predictor of how a turbo will perform in any particular application.
you don't know what a load line is, do you?

If you want to keep believing that you can drive the TD04 past 20PSI and that is somehow making more power than 16.5 PSI and supporting mods and not putting the engine in danger, so be it. I've got an easy solution for the discussion -- scrape up some cash and fly to Phoenix. I'll meet you at the airport personally and we'll go have lunch with Rich. He'll be happy to take you for a ride in his 530whp STI, 400whp VW R32, 440whp Corvette and perhaps even his RHD Skyline GT-R; those are just the shop cars. We can have a nice big talk about this, and I'll make him promise in advance not to laugh out loud. We've
are you his lover or something?
Old 09-16-2006, 03:28 AM

Car Info: 2002 blue wrx
Talking

gruppe s vf 34 ported so there is no boost creep just make sure seals dont go out and inspect all the clamps make sure there on.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:45 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRX
I want to get a BJ69
Old 09-17-2006, 05:38 PM

Car Info: New Government Motors SUV!
for anyone interested in actually learning something about the td04/13g oem wrx turbo,....
meilers, don't bother reading them--it would shake your house of cards down to the ground.
It's a TD04-13T

And it seems that a good tune can get it up to about ~22psi, but only around the mid rpm range.

That would also be running the turbo around the 180K rpm range wich will most definitely shorten it's lifespan.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988825

Quick Reply: !!! OK Best all around TURBO!!!!!