Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Oil Leak. Need urgent help.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2004, 08:08 PM

Car Info: Blaze yellow WRX 2002
Oil Leak. Need urgent help.

I got back from the shore tonight and I get out of the car and I notice smoke comeing from the hood. I originally thought it was some cleaning stuff cause I had just detailed the car and some of the under the hood stuff. But on further inspection to my dissmay I saw drips of fluid.

I got under the car with a flash-light and to my horroy the entire underbody of the car from front to back is covered in engine oil.

I can not really tell where it is coming from but there is oil dripping from all the way up in front where the oil filter is at. The oil plug is ok and the filter appears to be on there tight and I do not see it leaking. However there is oil dripping from the filter itself. I think the leak is from even further up above the oil filter but it is that far torwards the front of the car.

I checked my oil level, and when I put the dip stick in I get only a drop of oil on the very tip of the stick. So there is little to no oil left in the car. I did not get a CEL or any type of oil pressure warning light. (I am not sure what I sould get) But I did nto see anyhting abnormal on my dash. But I know a lot of Oil is missing and I was on the highway when it happened. I had to be cause the oild is covering the bottom of the car front to back.

What could it be? Could it be a seal? IS there an oil pump there or an oil cooler? What do you guys think it could be?
Old 09-26-2004, 08:29 PM

Car Info: 04 wrb wrx
could be a small hole in the filter maybe? or oil line to the turbo? your best bet would be to clean it all, like get down and dirty with some degreaser and clean your engine bay till it is pristine and then you'll very easily be able to spot a leak, where ever it maybe coming from.
Old 09-26-2004, 08:39 PM

I was thinking of just having it towed to the dealership and let them figure it out.

I don't know what to do really. I know not to start it if I know there is little to know oil in it.

Are head gaskets covered under the power train warranty? I am worried about this. I know it could be major but I am hoping it is somehting minor and simple to fix. But I have no idea. I am at 45K or so in milage.
Old 09-26-2004, 10:11 PM

Car Info: 02 Impreza WRX sedan
If the oil filter is properly installed (2/3 to 3/4 turn by hand), it might be the oil cooler adapter sandwiched between the oil filter and the engine block, or the lines that are attached to it.

Since you don't know how fast the oil leaks from the engine while running, get the car to the dealer using your Subaru towing service, if it's still applicable.

--
0==WW==0
"…axles of evil…" - george w. bush
Old 09-27-2004, 06:07 AM

How long is the towing service acclipable?

Well this morning I went to check it out. I know I saw oil everywhere last night but today I looked at the ground under the car and the big puddle of oil seems to be in the area slightyl behind the passenger front wheel. In that vacinity. Now like I said I saw oil as far up as the oil filter and I originaly thought it was coming from above that point. Now I wonder if it has somehtign to do with the turbo and the oil system that caries oil to the turbo. I still have no idea.

I might try to look today.

I need to get it to the dealer which is about 15 miles away. Wil lthey get the towign service to me or do I have to get it towed myself out the the dealership?
Old 09-27-2004, 06:13 AM

Are ther any more diagrams liek that one you posted?

I wonder if it is the oil cooler or a line or hose that connects to it. I hope it is somehting minor. I jsut find it strange to have oild all the way up to the oil filter yet it is pooling at the passenger wheel vacinity. I don't understand it.

When looking down into the engine I do nto see anyhthing. So it is occuring either under the turbo or in the mid layers of the engine. How can I check for myself. I want to jack the car up today and take a look. IS the oil cooler directly above the oil filter????
Old 09-27-2004, 08:41 AM

I bet its your Crank seal, they usually start leaking around 30k on every subaru ever. Most wont notice, sometimes they get really bad quick and blow oil underneath the motor when driving.

If your going to get it done, then get a timing belt and water pump done too. Since you will be paying for labor to take the belt off anyway to get to the seal, you might as well pay the $80 for a new one while your in there. I usually do the water pump too since its sitting right there.

Justin
Old 09-27-2004, 10:26 AM

Justin

Where exactly is the crank seal and how much does it typically cost to get it replaced? Would that blow oil everyplace under the passenger side bottom of the car?

I just got back under there and I really can not determine at all where the leak is coming from. The largest build up of oil is on the suspension to the front passenger side wheel. The arm of the susmension is covered in oil and it is driping down. But I look above and all I see is the downpipe and I can nto see any oil driping from there nor do I see oil on the downpipe itself.

But ther is oil on the sway bar and all the under components on that side of the car. However I look above and I can not see oil. It is almost liek it is leakign from up front someplace (maybe the filter) and the wind under the car had jsut sprayed the rest of the car with oil. But it still seems really strange.

I have no idea. My last attempt is goign to be to buy more oil and dump it in and then start the car up to see if I can pinpoint the location of the leak.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:15 PM

Its right behind the timing belt, so front of the motor. there should be the timing belt cover behind the serp belt and if that seal is wet I'd bet $100 its your crank seal. We used to charge $300 to get that replaced at the dealer, the part is $4. So for $500 you can have everything I listed done.

HTH

Justin
Old 09-28-2004, 04:45 AM

Well I did some more examination yesterday and foudn the oil to be coming from the oil filter. I looked as best I could and it did not appear that it was coming from the rubber seal on the top of the filter but more like it was coming straigh out of the bottom of the filter.

I had a fram sure-grip filter on ther and the black grippy part was all flaking off and that is where the leak seemed to be coming from. IT was as if there was a small pinhole in the dam thing.

Well I changed the oil and I purchased a Bosch filter and put that one instead. So far so good. No oil leaked when I turned the car on like it did wit hteh fram filter. SO I am goign to see after it sits today if there is any pooling of oil. I will give it a check and hopefully that is all it was.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:07 AM

Car Info: 04' wrx
Fram stuff really sucks. Never had good luck with fram anything.