Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

oil change

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2003, 09:21 AM

Car Info: '02 WRX WRB
Check this out:

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthr...threadid=12800

This Balboa Subaru employee in San Diego claims that synthetic oil is BAD for your Subaru.

Fixed the link, sorry.

Last edited by bone324; 03-23-2003 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2003, 02:03 PM

Location: Flying on the H1 w/ 75 psi of compression on all 4 cyl
Car Info: PnP VF30 w/ STi injectors Perrin intake walbro fuel pump w/ a TXS TBE
hey bone 324 that link doesn't work can u check it please
Old 03-30-2003, 08:11 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Originally posted by ssignorelli
You MUST still change the filter every 3000 miles regardless if you decide to leave the oil in for 3000-6000 miles.

I may be showing my ignorance here, but I come here to learn, and sometimes you have to ask "stupid questions" in order to do just that (learn). That being said...

I have never changed up the filter with oil in the car for fear of soaking myself in black sludge. Is it possible to change the oil filter while staying relatively clean? I have always thought that taking off the filter would be a fast way to empty the oil from the engine. Edumacate me, please
Old 03-30-2003, 08:22 PM

Car Info: 19' Impreza Sport Manual / 99 Miata / 13' OB
P.S. A turbo timer or self-discipline can go a LONG way in saving your turbo and your oil. Use your brain=save your car.
FWIW according to Subaru, you don't need to let the WRX turbo cool down before turning off the motor.

Look here almost to the bottom:

http://www.endwrench.com/current/win...03/insider.pdf
Old 03-30-2003, 11:23 PM

Car Info: 02' WRX
You can switch form dino to syn these days no problem since they got seal swellers in the oil now. Oil changes at 3000 are ridiculous, 5000 is a good compromise if you drive the car hard.

Please stop talking out you're *** people.
Old 03-31-2003, 07:58 AM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
Originally posted by SilverSti
"Keep the original factory oil in the engine for 2000-3000 miles, making sure to change the filter every 1000 miles.
Once you have gotten through the break-in period I recommend a fresh oil change to a pure synthetic oil such as Amsoil or Redline, Amsoil being my personal recommendation. You MUST still change the filter every 3000 miles regardless if you decide to leave the oil in for 3000-6000 miles."

LOL OMG wow what kind of "RACE TEAM" are you on?? or around lol.. list of dumbass thing ever said..... #1. U change your filter but leave the oil.hmmmm tell me how i realy wana know?? #2. You go from straight petro to sintec oil on new engine?? on a old one at that you should always semi sin to prepare it. lol can you say kaaaabboooooommmmmm.... yea couse thats what your engine is going to do couse its hard sleeves are gona SCHOOORCH get hot strech and drag so fast the crank will snap. Hopefully a piston will come out and smack you smart again "or for the first time" i can stop hear you get the point aye?? probly one of those chevy guy's.
There's no need to be belligerent.
Old 03-31-2003, 08:45 AM

I know the subject of oil and oil changing is a Pandora's Box but please keep it civil no need for name calling. If you feel you have to, take it off line.

Thanks,

Peaty
Old 03-31-2003, 08:52 AM

Lightbulb What Subaru has to say on the Subject

From here:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/sc...sp?pageID=2003

Maintenance
Vehicle maintenance is an important factor for proper vehicle operation. The vehicle's driver should ensure that fluid levels (engine oil, coolant, etc.) are checked frequently (i.e., each time you add fuel) in accordance with the instructions in the owner's manual.

Your Subaru vehicle requires an initial engine oil and filter change at 3,000 miles or 3 months, whichever first occurs. We suggest that you schedule an appointment for this service and any other necessary adjustments at your local Subaru dealer. Locate your local dealer by going to the upper right corner of subaru.com and input your city, state or zip code.

Look here too:

http://www.subaru.com/owners/care/sc...2003myfed.html

From the above:
When the vehicle is used under severe driving conditions**, the engine oil and filter should be changed every 6,000 km (3,750 miles) or 3.75 months.

Examples of severe driving conditions:
Repeated short distance driving when the engine does not reach normal operating temperature.
Driving in dusty conditions.
Driving in extremely cold weather.
Towing a trailer.

The frequency of scheduled inspection and maintenance services as set forth below is minimal. However, it may be necessary that they be performed more frequently depending on road conditions, weather, atmospheric conditions, vehicle usage and individual driving habits.

Quick Reply: oil change