Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

OEM part replacement problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 09:45 AM

Car Info: 2002 WRB Impreza WRX
OEM part replacement problem

Recently I had removed my IAC (intake air control) valve from the manifold (sits next to map sensor on the top of the throttle body), the gasket had expanded over time and was not reusable, I ordered a replacement gasket and screws via the subaruparts.com online database from this diagram (i have an 02 sedan):

Part numbers:

*22659*AA120 gasket for between IACV and manifold
*16596*AA030 x2, attaches IACV to manifold

The parts came and the part numbers matched, however the screws weren't even CLOSE to the correct part, they accidently sent me 2 bags of the screws, which i had ordered 1 set, sealed with subaru part numbers on them that matched, they were too short and too skinny in diameter to fit these holes whatsoever

That didn't bother me much, I went to the hardware store and purchased an identically long allen head set of bolts and put two washers on them just like the stock pieces, ended up same length etc

Next I seated the gasket into the bore in the cast of the manifold where it fits, upon initial glance it seemed the gasket needed to sit "higher" so it would make a good seal against the valve itself not letting the coolant get past the water port in the manifold casting, it looked CLOSE but not close enough so I proceeded to torque the bolts down slightly and verified while idling no bubbles/air leaks

But, once in boost it ingests coolant into the combustion chambers! Did *not* do this prior to removing this piece before and as i retorque/replace this gasket once more the onset of a certain pressure level before it leaks and clouds out the tailpipe changes, it's becoming quite evident after purchasing two of these oring gaskets that they are NOT the correct part

I also cross referenced on the site for an 01 wrx and these part numbers coinside with the EJ22 engine/manifold as well, does anyone have a verification of these part numbers?

If these are right I am going to have to end up removing the throttle body and machining the casting so this gasket works and seals properly.
Old 12-12-2004, 08:59 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 2016 Acura RDX ... meh. Um, nice subwoofer?
Have you called Subaruparts.com? Your "02 sedan" is a WRX (ej205)?