Engine/Power - EJ20T (pre-2006 WRX and JDM) There is replacement for displacement, it is forced induction - OEM 2.0 liter turbo engines in the USDM WRX. 90-94 Legacy Turbo EJ22 turbo engines can also be discussed here.

Newbie asking questions that need answers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2003, 08:21 PM
VIP Member

Car Info: 94 T-Leg Sedan and a 00 M5
1. an uppipe is the pipe that runs "up" from your exhaust manifold to your turbo. A downpipe is the exhuast portion that runs "down" from your turbo to the rest of your exhaust.

2. A boost controller is a device that regulates the increased air pressure (also known as "boost") being forced into your engine by the turbo. A turbo timer is a device that will keep your car running for a set period of time after you remove the key. This allows your car time to "cool down" after hard driving and prevents the stagnant oil from cooking your turbo. WRX's have some safeguards built in for this, so there is a debate if a turbo-timer is really needed or not in a WRX

3. This is up for debate. I'd say uppipe, Manual boost controller WITH BOOST GUAGE and some new tires.

4. I think it peaks at 12-13psi. I'm pretty sure its 0.95bar.

5. Butterfly the throttle (to build boost) up to 4-5k RPM. Let out the clutch until it starts to slip. Once it starts to slip, steadily let the clutch out the rest of the way while standing on the throttle... you may want to ask some better drivers about this.

6. If you mean increasing boost, make sure you get a BOOST GUAGE and don't go over 16psi. If you mean getting a bigger turbo, then you'll probably need a bigger fuel pump, and at least STi injectors.

Let the arguments begin
-Etch